• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Turbo Low Elevation Clutch prep from Dealer

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
I anticipate picking up my 21' Freeride (165) here in a couple weeks. My dealer has tacked on a fee to convert the sled to the "low elevation clutching" which is typical for most mountain sleds setup in Alaska.

With that said, the Turbo is advertised to generate the same HP at sea level as it does at 8,000 feet. I guess I'm not understanding the reason the clutches should need any changes whatsoever since the horsepower will be constant...

This is my first Ski Doo I've ever purchased so I'm not sure what OEM clutching is set up for. What are your guy's thoughts on this?
Before I call the dealer to hash this out.

Feb 14, 2010
yes, I would tell them to leave the high elevation clutching in it a buy a clutch kit from John
at Sled Head Racing. good from sea level to 10,000 feet, along with some other things are are a must.
Phone 612 718 3861

ThePennySaved

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2017
AK
If you're in Anchorage talk to Chad at A2D; lots of local guys run his clutch kits (myself included). He'll even help you tweak it based on what specific zones you frequent.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I'm curious where the sled will actually be ridden.. I know you are at sea-level, but will you ride mostly at elevation? and if not, why did you buy a turbo anyways?

Personally I ride at about 2000' so if I bought a turbo I'd be flashing it right away, at which time the factory clutching is next to useless.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I lived in the 907 for 36 years. I agree with the previous comment, why buy a turbo there? Anchorage is at sea level. 3000 feet is MAYBE the highest that you can get to ride? No benefit for buying the Doo turbo unless going to mod it. Probably why there is a question on clutching. Turbo 850 makes the same power as a naturally aspirated 850 at sea level.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Thanks for the input/replies I contacted the dealer yesterday to make sure they don't mess with the factory clutching.

I do know Chad and going to A2D is solid advice.

I lived in the 907 for 36 years. I agree with the previous comment, why buy a turbo there? Anchorage is at sea level. 3000 feet is MAYBE the highest that you can get to ride? No benefit for buying the Doo turbo unless going to mod it. Probably why there is a question on clutching. Turbo 850 makes the same power as a naturally aspirated 850 at sea level.

I frequently ride 4000+ Although much of my riding will be 2-3K as well. With that said, Dyno numbers are showing the Turbo pushing 6-7 HP more than the NA 850 at sea level so at 4000 ft the turbo should be generating 25+ HP more than it's NA sibling...That's enough for me to spend the extra $3K

My primary sleds have been boosted 4 strokes and I haven't been tempted by a factory offered two stroke until now.

The motor will eventually be tuned but I will try to keep it in warranty for at least the first season until everything is ironed out.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I'm curious about more info on those dyno runs at sea level showing hp increase? skidoo never mentioned anything and if it's true they lost a lot of sales at sea level

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I anticipate picking up my 21' Freeride (165) here in a couple weeks. My dealer has tacked on a fee to convert the sled to the "low elevation clutching" which is typical for most mountain sleds setup in Alaska.

With that said, the Turbo is advertised to generate the same HP at sea level as it does at 8,000 feet. I guess I'm not understanding the reason the clutches should need any changes whatsoever since the horsepower will be constant...

This is my first Ski Doo I've ever purchased so I'm not sure what OEM clutching is set up for. What are your guy's thoughts on this?
Before I call the dealer to hash this out.
If you are looking for clutching outside of stock, then regardless of 951, 994, 903 or 984 ramps, I have a kit for it. Same kit, different setting sheet for the slight differences in each ramp.
Say you have the 951 (LE) setup, then apply 24.7 gram pivot bolt and yer off to the hills. Dont have to touch the clicker or bolt or anything till around 8000 feet. But even though a turbo, that last 10% of the season when the day is warm, snow wet, heavy, there is a bit of power down, can clicker up to 4 and that'll take you to spring storage.
27~2800 engagement
Downhill engine braking strong enough to stand up and read the newspaper, :ROFLMAO: holds down to 8~9mph

Premium Features