• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 rmk on drag-atv. HELP PLEASE

W
Nov 27, 2007
Hello all.

I have been putting together a drag quad for 300ft dirt drags. It is a non ves800rmk on a 4130 chromoly frame.
As of now it is bone stock, with the stock pipe. The only mod, if you can call it a mod, is a set of supertip weights.
Could somone please steer me in the right direction on a motor builder for this engine? How about carbs? Is there a better set of carbs for this motor?
I have a Polaris sport 400, set up the same way... and if someone were to ask me for a 400 builder I would tell them "Ritter Cycle" or "HPD"
But when I ask of some good Polaris sled builders, I cant get much of an answer.
Thanks for any replies!
Brent

W
Nov 27, 2007
Im in Maryland. I want to send the jugs off for some good porting, and would like to get some pipes to match. I dont really wana run alcahol, but a small to medium size shot of nozz is not out of the question. I really want to build a good foundation before we squirt it tho.

Thanks for the quick reply poorider. I LIKE the name. I did a lil "poo riding" this morning. :face-icon-small-ton

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Carls or SLP for the porting and carb boring if so desired, Pipes I would lean toward SLP as carl's uses their pipes anyway. Give them a good run down on what your using the motor for, ie not a snowmobile. Tell them what your looking for as far as the running characteristics and they'll hook you up with the HP.

Another option since your in lower elevation is Hot Seat Performance in MN. they are great with the Polaris motors for flatland but not so much for the high elevations.

Last edited:
W
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks again.
I spoke with Olav some time ago. My motor may not be an RMK. it came from vermont, so maybe it is an "edge" ? It never snows in southern Md. So I know very little about sleds.
I may give Carls a call this week.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Talk to Ronnie at Sharp's Marine also.

Builds some good engines, and is a master with porting and very reasonably priced. see what he can do for ya.

www.sharpsmarine.com Oswego, NY

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
If i were you and building this for drag racing there are a few names that come to mind who will make that thing sing. Iantomassi Track and Trail in Ontario, the Crank Shop in vermont, check out the flatlander forums if you are looking to build an extreme drag motor. Mountain tuners leave a bit on the table in order to keep all around reliability and low end driveability, granted they can build more extreme engines. Give Iantomassi a call, they are fast and have a ton of experience with these motors (905)-263-4868
These are the guys to make that thing fly.

L
Sep 25, 2002
Sudbury, On
If i were you and building this for drag racing there are a few names that come to mind who will make that thing sing. Iantomassi Track and Trail in Ontario, the Crank Shop in vermont, check out the flatlander forums if you are looking to build an extreme drag motor. Mountain tuners leave a bit on the table in order to keep all around reliability and low end driveability, granted they can build more extreme engines. Give Iantomassi a call, they are fast and have a ton of experience with these motors (905)-263-4868
These are the guys to make that thing fly.

I'll second that one. Gerry is a motor Wizard and he works with the Crank Shop regularly on custom pipes.

AMSnow

Might want to call Chris Bondi too, I've seen a few wild projects of his. He's more of a BRP guy, but damn smart man. It couldn't hurt to call around!

Bondi Engines

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Hairdryer here on this forum (although he may be hard to track down since he isn't actively in the industry anymore) built an 800 ves hotrod setup for his IN-FRICKING-CRED-ABLE lawn tractor dragster. I'm talking one bad mo fo setup. More poop then the slicks that they run by rule will allow for hook-up. They run a little club circuit racing program out of New Plymouth Idaho at fairs, car shows, and such. He would be an excellent resource for info.

G
Dec 19, 2007
Surrounded by Dumbacrat's
Im in Maryland. I want to send the jugs off for some good porting, and would like to get some pipes to match. I dont really wana run alcahol, but a small to medium size shot of nozz is not out of the question. I really want to build a good foundation before we squirt it tho.

Thanks for the quick reply poorider. I LIKE the name. I did a lil "poo riding" this morning. :face-icon-small-ton

Olav is a Great guy & I would not have a problem letting him build me a another motor but after racing against Rob @ http://www.htgracing.com/services.php I would be leaning this way.

Good luck & it sounds like FUN!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
His real human name is Bill Loftin. Super sharp with tons of experience. Worked for years with one of the top mod shops in the west and then ran his own shop as well. Great guy....can't imagine finding a better resource. Last I heard he was off working in a different field and hoping to getting back to enjoying RIDING RACING AND PLAYING SLEDS instead of working on them 24-7. Good plan

Premium Features