• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

680 polaris ultra

K
Oct 16, 2008
Northern BC
What is everbodys opinion of the polaris 680 triple motor. I have purchased a 1996 polaris 680 ultra 144" track and I have had many people tell me different things about this machine. Some people say the crankshaft is very weak? Some people say it is a very fuel efficient machine? It seems you either love it or you hate it. What is your opinion? What do you know about the machine, good or bad?

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i had a 96 ultra back in 97. once i put the pipes on it, it flatted ripped when it was running right. still probably the fasted sled across a lake i've had. but it was very finicky. although i know my jetting was off, as i am a much better tuner now than i was then. the downer part was it is heavy, and just doesn't go through the snow like the new ones, or even as good as the 97 700. (then again that sled pretty much set the standard in 97) keep in mind, besides the pipes, mine was in pretty much stock form and have heard other people getting them to flat rip in the mountains with the right set up and enough time. the motor has the potential to make a TON of power. Can't help you on the crank issue though, never had an issue with mine. good luck.

pv

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
i have a 96 ultra 680 sks has psi modblaster pipes( a must have puts that engine in the 150 hp range) its crazy fast i have a 151x 2 track under it i think it very fun to ride, never has the ski's on the ground raced an 08 xp 800 on the trail and beat him preaty good.. mine needs a little better powder track but does awsome in set up snow.
ultra1.jpg

ultra2.jpg

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I bought an ultra new in 96 and rode it stock for a year. It was ok...added a set of slp triples and it came alive. Added a htg 800 big bore kit and it rocked! I still miss that sled but there wasn't much left of it after several thousand hard miles. The first mod i would due to one if I were to buy one today that is used but in like new shape would be a set of pipes for sure, and then change the rear skid out for a newer xtra-lite out of an edge chassis. You can get those pretty cheap these days and you said it already has a 144 under it so it would be easy to do. Enjoy your new sled!

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
i have one also, piped, clutched, shaved head, geared down and an atacc, very fuel effecient after i put the atacc on and it is spot on with 300-310-290 jets not sure if thats in exact order, as people said runs great fun to ride would be great with an extra lite 151 or 156 but is way too heavy for deep fluff, enjoy:beer;

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
the ultra had a very bad rap straight from the factory, polaris just didn't do thier homework on the exhaust. But like the others have said, put a set of pipes on it and hold on. Slp pipes gave it a 43 hp gain, other pipes may give it even more. I still have an ultra with a lot of work done to it including the extra-lite suspension referred to above and it may not be the best handling and best riding sled but will take just about any of the new sleds down the trail with ease. I have about 5000 hard miles on mine and still the original crank, have'nt really heard of too many crank issues with them

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
If anyone has said anything about a weak crank they are either confusing it with the XLT 600 or the old 800. That motor can easily make 200 hp in the right hands. I have run mine since 96 and it takes some serious money to keep up with this sled. The down side to this sled is that you can't fit the new 2.5 inch tracks under it unless you drop and roll AND switch to a longer chaincase. If you pipe the sled, it will lose an immediate 30 lbs putting it on par with sleds built today. The SLP pipes were not the strong pipes. The psi modblasters are the ones to get if you can find them. Gear the sled way, way down...once you start turning the motor at 8700 rpm it has way more top end than anything on the snow. Gear down and get more torgue because this motor does not have the powervalves that make the twins so awesome. I highly recommend the big bore kits. I expect that you paid somewhere between 500 and 1000 for this sled. If you drop and roll with a longer chaincase and find a longer camoplast, and a big bore kit, you can have a sled that WALKS on modern sleds for 8 grand less. Keep your eyes open for swap meet parts. The old mid nineties sleds are ripe for the pickens...

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
uLtra

The XCR 800 motor is the next generation of that motor. Bottom ends are the same but the XCR has exhaust valves. Lots of heavy mods on the XCR out there. I have a motor for sale if you want to make a switch.

R
Aug 7, 2009
pinetop az
How tall of lugs on the track can you go with on stock suspention. what is the stock lenth and how high are the lugs on a stock 96 ultra 680 sks
Thanks Rob

Last edited:
S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
Been down this road myself. Steps I would due if I started over.

Modblasters- bring your earlpugs
Newer rear supsension
I personally would not drop/roll. Too much work. Put 8 tooths and a 2x144 or 151 track. Gear down some,even after the 8 tooth conversion.
Remove sway bar. snug down your front limiter strap.

Watch for spare parts on here. I got a track, high rise seat, clear tank (had to re-plumb my coolers) and lots of other second hand stuff on here.

Mine was a big-bore 800 from Sever and the motor was great. My continual modding left a little to be desired but I learned a lot during the process.:D

Premium Features