• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

36” front shock length

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
I have a set of WE air shocks that are 17” that I’m going to shorten for a 36” front end. Searched the forums and looks like the factory 36” shocks are 16.34”.

I’m wondering if they really need to be that short or if slightly longer like 16.5” or 16.625” will work?

Anyone have experience running slightly longer shocks? Any binding?

Thanks

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Much longer and the tie rods will rub the lower a-arm. Some guys used to run longer shocks on the older proclimb front ends when narrowing them from 40 to 38 and be fine, but I don't know if that's possible with the 36 front end with the spindles laid back more. I'm running 17.3" length shocks on my 38" front end with the new style laid back spindles while spec is 17.1" and the tie rod is as close to rubbing as It gets without leaving marks. So based on that if I was in your shoes I'd throw a 1/2" spacer in one shock and try it and see if the tie rod clears at full lock with the skis of the ground. If it doesn't work then throw 3/4" spacers in and call it a day. That would get you within 0.1".

D
Jan 23, 2017
I am running stock shocks from my 38 inch front end on 36 inch. I had them shortened 3/4 with spacer. and still had to throw a couple washers under the tie rod end.

Premium Features