• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Erratic throttle at 6000 rpm

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
2021 summit 850 with 165 track and about 1500 miles. While cruising down the trail to and from areas to boondock, at around 40mph and 6000rpm, the sled jumps rpm by 200-500 and lurches forward. After that, the rpm drops back to around 6000rpm only to jump again and lurch forward. All this while holding the throttle in a extremely steady fashion and not blipping it. This is beyond aggravating. It has gotten so bad that while climbing through the trees you cannot count on what the throttle position might give you. Might be a gradual increase in rpm or a lurch that spins the track, or nothing. At times going down the trail I have had cases that it will not accelerate beyond approximately 6100rpm and it coughs and sputters until I back out of the throttle. To get it to rev beyond the 6100rpm you need to blip the throttle several times and gradually work through the supposed dead spot.
I have been told that this is the secondary injectors activating and is nothing to worry about. Well, it did not act this erratically when it was new and now it is nothing but a pain to ride. It is extremely unpredictable.
Could this be faulty secondary injectors, rave system issues, or what?
Rode a 2019 850 Summit X today and it ran smooth as silk. No lurching and very predictable.
Any ideas on what might be the issue on this sled?

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
2021 summit 850 with 165 track and about 1500 miles. While cruising down the trail to and from areas to boondock, at around 40mph and 6000rpm, the sled jumps rpm by 200-500 and lurches forward. After that, the rpm drops back to around 6000rpm only to jump again and lurch forward. All this while holding the throttle in a extremely steady fashion and not blipping it. This is beyond aggravating. It has gotten so bad that while climbing through the trees you cannot count on what the throttle position might give you. Might be a gradual increase in rpm or a lurch that spins the track, or nothing. At times going down the trail I have had cases that it will not accelerate beyond approximately 6100rpm and it coughs and sputters until I back out of the throttle. To get it to rev beyond the 6100rpm you need to blip the throttle several times and gradually work through the supposed dead spot.
I have been told that this is the secondary injectors activating and is nothing to worry about. Well, it did not act this erratically when it was new and now it is nothing but a pain to ride. It is extremely unpredictable.
Could this be faulty secondary injectors, rave system issues, or what?
Rode a 2019 850 Summit X today and it ran smooth as silk. No lurching and very predictable.
Any ideas on what might be the issue on this sled?
Try a set of plugs.

F
Oct 20, 2015
North Pole Alaska
^ I second that! I was having similar issues. Took the sled all apart cause no way could it be my plugs I replaced last year with maybe 300 miles on them now. Long story short is was indeed the plugs! Despite it running fine at 6100RPM and below. New plugs and it runs perfect!

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Interesting! I’ll have to check them out. Just seems odd that this could be the culprit, but stranger things have happened.
Was it apparent that the plugs were fouled or did they appear to be in good shape?
Thanks

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
OK, here is the verdict on the erratic throttle situation. Come to find out the servo for the rave valves was bad. Got it back from the shop this afternoon and tomorrow going for a ride. We'll see how things go. I had a few days before the shop appointment so I changed the spark plugs but still kept the appointment. We'll see how things go.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
OK, here is the verdict on the erratic throttle situation. Come to find out the servo for the rave valves was bad. Got it back from the shop this afternoon and tomorrow going for a ride. We'll see how things go. I had a few days before the shop appointment so I changed the spark plugs but still kept the appointment. We'll see how things go.
Update: Headed out for days ride this morning and the sled ran great, for about 15 miles. Stopped at a rendezvous location to wait for riding partners to catch up. Then took off down the trail and sled started to act up again. Limped back to truck and took sle back to dealership. They immediately tore into it and found bad servo relay and changed it out. Need to go for another ride to see how this new repair holds up. Hope it holds up and I can start enjoying a ride. I appreciate their willingness to tear into the situation as they could easily have postponed me until next week sometime. Hope this is it!

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Update: Headed out for days ride this morning and the sled ran great, for about 15 miles. Stopped at a rendezvous location to wait for riding partners to catch up. Then took off down the trail and sled started to act up again. Limped back to truck and took sle back to dealership. They immediately tore into it and found bad servo relay and changed it out. Need to go for another ride to see how this new repair holds up. Hope it holds up and I can start enjoying a ride. I appreciate their willingness to tear into the situation as they could easily have postponed me until next week sometime. Hope this is it!
Finally had a chance to go for a ride today. Over 30 miles of boondocking with around 20 miles of trail with no hiccups. Runs great!

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
I have a similar problem with my sled, where is the servo relay ? or was it the rave sensor.
Sorry, did not notice your question.
It was both of these items. I don’t know where they are located. The dealer/shop did the diagnostic and repair since it is still under warranty.

Premium Features