• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Arcticman avalanche

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sorry young lady. Sounds like she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I feel bad for her family.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
I was there for the dig out after it happened and my comments are in no way meant as a disrespect to the victim. I read in the link that woman was trained and took classes, but they could not have made more mistakes on this one. Avys were snapping off all around on similar sloped and aspects. The reports were posted at the entrance to the trails but to be honest I did not see that day as I had just arrived. Following days were high/considerable. She was stopped at the base of the climb that was visibly wind loaded watching her boyfriend make a pull. As he made it through the pinch point and into the upper bowl, the fracture established just ahead of him and traveled across a ridge to the looker's left. He was swept down with it about 3/4 down and was able to get himself out. The woman was hit and brought 75yrds or so to the terrain trap she was at the leading edge of(high banked bowl) and buried about 8-10ft right next to her sled. People in the area heard her scream, so she saw it coming but not enough time to get out or maybe just froze watching her boyfriend. She was under for 30 minutes by the time her boyfriend located her with a beacon and others arrived to help. Reports are that she was really bent up and bleeding at openings, so they speculated that it may have been trauma as cause of death.
It was a reminder to me of just following the basic rules and how much of a difference they can make. If she was just watching from where I took the pic, which to me was too close), they both would have been ok. I saw a lot of crazy things go down that week that will be stuck in my mind.

Avy hole ak.jpg avy ak.jpg

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
More clarification. In the wide shot, if you look right side of pic you can see the pinch and then some tracks in the upper bowl at fracture. Those were pointed out as his from that run or one before. From there it shot lookers left over the nose and then slid back into the gut. He stopped just below and slightly right of the pinch area.

Where everyone is standing is 8-12 feet deep debris field and I am taking pic from the natural bank

Premium Features