• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Polaris dragon 163???

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
do a search, it has been discussed in detail. i had a 09 and never had any issues with it for the 1200 miles i owned it. others had multiple motor failures. if i still owned a cfi-4 800 (08-10 800) i would install PMS's fix kit. from what i have read this has the best chance of solving the potential issues and increasing the confidence that the sled will make it out of the back-country.

pv

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
I second the do a search, I put 2500 miles on one and never had a problem. Left it completely stock except for vents, never ran ethanol fuel, always let it warm up to 120 degrees before leaving the truck and let the temp even out before I would continue after stopping or getting stuck. Also rode it like a mod sled, never leaving it at an even rpm.

I don't know if doing these things help at all because I think there are a lot of guys out there that didn't have trouble. The guy I sold it to rode with a group of 10 guys that had them and he said all had been reliable.

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
Search

Do the search, lots of good ideas out there. I Never had an engine issue, just some powder intake issues one time. If you can get the warranty extension I would do it. Some guys swear by "The Fix" or similar products others say keep it stock, either way there are some engine issues in more than a few, I figured that if I ran 90 octane, best we get here, VES gold oil and added a bit of blue to the tank now and again it would help. sold my 10 RMK 800 last week and bought a 2012 pro, 970 miles & itwas good enough to me but I did not want to press my luck.

check out this link

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206663

Some of the big problems are:
Piston skirts fail
VR/ECU fails
midrange bog, mapping helps.
Best of luck

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
I’ve got a 09 Dragon 155" with 2100 miles and currently no issues. If you bought it used I would automatically take the exhaust valves off and check if there is any scoring on the pistons. I’ve heard great things about the PC5s for the fuel issue but that won’t fix a potential clearance problem between the cylinder wall and pistons. That’s where "The Fix" looks like a good investment to keep these sleds running for years to come.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I had an 09 155 went down twice in 1500 miles. I picked up a great fix, no problems at all called 2011 pro rmk::becky::becky::becky:

R
Sep 13, 2009
Spokane, Wa
I have an 08 dragon, it was a 155 and I put a 163 under it. I have had some issues with my sled, nothing to do with track swapping, but I have had some motor issues. I had the 2010 update done on it, so its got the double ring pistons and new head. Even though I did the update I went ahead and bought a Power Commander V for it and let me tell ya, really woke the sled up. Reason I put it on was to eliminate the chances of finding that lean spot and taking the rings out of it. Happened to me once!! The other thing I just did to it this year was do the airbox update on it. Timbersled makes the kit, seals the airbox and puts a K&N air filter on top so it eliminates the engine from sucking it the belt dust and taking your motor!!! That also happened to me!!! But all in all, its been a good sled!! I ride the sh*t out it and have lots of fun. But if I was going to buy another one, I would do those two things to it, the PCV and the Air Box Kit. I'm sure your sled will be good for ya, just something to think about!!!

i got the power commander on it, i rode it last weekend saturday without any problems in 2 an a half feet of powder. i rode it sunday an there was another foot of snow an it kept dieing on me when id let of the throttle but ithink i was just sucking snow? hopefully!

well i was riding today gana head back to the truck an the left side exhaust valve sheered the bolts at the cylander that holds the valve to the motor an it blew out i lost power an i shut it off right away an got towed the rest of the way back??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Premium Features