• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 Polaris RMK 700 only one cylinder firing

M
Jan 6, 2009
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
From STRETCHITOUT's thread. I figured I would start my own for more input. The sled is only getting spark to one cylinder. The CDI has been replaced and it still only fires on one cylinder. The plug is getting no spark and we have tried multiple plugs.

MLCA first try swapping the wires to see if the problem is indeed the ignition. You probably have a bad cap or plug wire (the sled fires bot plugs off the same coil, from one cap to other cap you should have 11-12K ohms 5k for each cap and 1000-2000 for the coil and wires . If it stays dead on the one side then you have some other issue either carbs/bad air leak/fuel pump issue(sometimes the little thin plastic valves in the pump crack, will feed the one carb that has the lower outlet on pump but not the higher, usually mag side, $5 repair kit plus hours to find).

This shouldn't effect the plug sparking right? We took it out to see if it was firing but no luck. No spark at all to one cylinder. Even the good cylinders plug wouldn't spark on the other side. Could it be the voltage regulator? My buddy is already in $330. for a part that wasn't the issue and he wants to keep his parts cost to a minimum on a 1000 dollar sled. Thanks.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
My guess is the stator went bad...

Not sure where to get one for minimal cost though:(

Try salvage yards if you have some near by...

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I thought we had a 99 that had a bad stator...and I thought that it would run half azz, but still run.

I could be wrong though:( It has been awhile ago!

Call a reputable Polaris shop and ask them! The thing is...there are only so many things taht can cause spark issues...and you narrrowed down the largest ones already...correct?

M
Jan 6, 2009
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I thought we had a 99 that had a bad stator...and I thought that it would run half azz, but still run.

I could be wrong though:( It has been awhile ago!

Call a reputable Polaris shop and ask them! The thing is...there are only so many things taht can cause spark issues...and you narrrowed down the largest ones already...correct?

We replaced the CDI and tried multiple plugs. I didn't want to rip out the stator unless I don't have an option. My buddy just talked to a guy who said if the temp sensor is bad it will shut down one cylinder to save the motor. Is there any truth to this?

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
We replaced the CDI and tried multiple plugs. I didn't want to rip out the stator unless I don't have an option. My buddy just talked to a guy who said if the temp sensor is bad it will shut down one cylinder to save the motor. Is there any truth to this?

Not on a 99. I don't even have my temp sender and my sled runs fine.

M
Jan 6, 2009
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I love it when a problem is essentially nothing. My buddy took a look at the temp sensor and there was corrosion on the connection. He cleaned it and now has spark from both plugs. Too bad he spent $330.00 on a new CDI. Thanks for all the input.

B
Oct 26, 2014
Bringing this back from the dead. I have a 99 RMK 550 and have the same problem, only one cylinder is firing. There is a third threaded port on the head that looks just like a spark plug port (obviously it's not). Is that where the temp sensor should be? It looks as though there has never been anything in there. Sounds like this could possibly be a cause of only one cylinder firing. If that's the case, where does the wire from the temp sensor plug in? I don't see any unused harnesses or wires.
Thanks

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Bringing this back from the dead. I have a 99 RMK 550 and have the same problem, only one cylinder is firing. There is a third threaded port on the head that looks just like a spark plug port (obviously it's not). Is that where the temp sensor should be? It looks as though there has never been anything in there. Sounds like this could possibly be a cause of only one cylinder firing. If that's the case, where does the wire from the temp sensor plug in? I don't see any unused harnesses or wires.
Thanks

Your 550.. Is a FAN! No Need for a coolant temp Sensor!

Premium Features