• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 RMK 700 pull cord issue

B
Feb 7, 2013
Hey everyone,

I went outside this evening to start my machine and the pull cord is not catching on anything, I can just pull it straight out. Its been super cold and windy here lately and everything seems to be pretty frozen. I am wondering if perhaps something might have come loose as a result. Any advice on what this issue might be? I just drove it yesterday and it was working fine. This is the first time I have had issues with the pull cord.

I am also trying to find an online manual for my 98 RMK 700. Does anyone know where I can find one even if I have to pay for it.

Thanks as always,

Brandon

W

w browning

Mar 21, 2009
It's not much of a job taking the recoil housing off. More than likely you got enough moisture to freeze up the starter mechanism, it has to be totally free to operate correctly. If you have a heated shop you can usually dry it out. I have seen a mechanical failure or two but more than likely it is frozen or gummed up. Good luck Pat

B
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for responding! I plan on taking it to the shop at the school hopefully today to let it get warm. Its been beyond cold here the last few days and my machine has been a frozen mess.

Brandon

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
The recoil can be a little difficult to remove as the bottom bolt is under motor and be hind the bulk head. A used a 1/4" drive with a wobbly socket. If you do remove I would replace the belt that drives oil and water pumps to prevent a future engine failure.

PS Sounds like you live be out on the Yukon. When through Ruby to Gelena yesterday must have been -45.

B
Feb 7, 2013
Its definitely been cold here but we havent been unlucky enough to reach -45. I live in SW Alaska down by Dillingham in a small villege called New Stuyahok. Its been plenty cold and just about everyone's machine is frozen in some way. I made the mistake of not putting my cover on it Saturday afternoon and overnight and I woke up sunday with it full of snow which is now all ice. My 4 wheeler is also frozen at the moment so I am down two machines right now. Thanks for the advice, I plan on getting both machines into our shop soon to warm them up!

Brandon

Premium Features