• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 non VES 700 transplant into 2001 600 edge X Any help????

red99powerstroke

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2008
Persia, IA
Well I think that we have it all figured out.

1.) Going to run the mikuni flat slide carbs (40MM)

2.) Got a water pump housing off of a newer sled and one hose to make the cooling hoses look factory

3.) Got a slp single pipe off of ebay that is made only for a 2001 700 xc (Lucky)

4.) Putting the newer stator, flywheel, and oiler so that we can run the 2001 wiring and PERC

those are the major things that we are doing but we figured that if its going to get done do it right!

If anyone is thinking of doing this and needs help I can help I have ran into enough road blocks to send you in the right direction.

Last edited:

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Polaris built the exact sled you're trying to create. The '01 XC 700s were Edge chassis with a non-VES motor (as were the '01 XC 800s), so all the exhaust parts do exist and can be bought for you to have a "bolt-in" swap with factory parts. The 600 and 700 used the same silencer, so you only need to find a pipe and y-pipe. However, since that sled wasn't very popular, you probably won't find anything aftermarket for exhaust parts unless you alter something to fit. Anyhow, to mount the motor, you need to find a set of motor straps from a "big block" Edge chassis (not Pro-X). You'll also need the "door" for the front of the airbox that matches the big block carb spacing. Don't forget carb flanges, as the Edge chassis takes a different type than the '98 XC uses. Otherwise, there isn't much to the swap. I'll also mention that if the urge ever strikes, a VES top end bolts right on. You didn't mention if you're using the '98 carbs or if you're updating to the flatslide Mikuni carbs. I prefer the Mikuni carbs myself and they aren't all that expensive (need cables too if you go that way). It will also make your fuel lines easier to work with and they are somewhat easier to dial in. If you're headed to Haydays, guaranteed you'll find everything you need to complete the swap.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Funny that you and I seem to do the same projects...I was doing the suspension swap on the XCSP the same time as you last year:D

So I found an 04 Edge chassis with no motor last year and decided to drop my 98 700 RMK motor into it. Here are the things I had to do to make it work:
  • ditch the old motor plate and use the Edge straps, mounts, and towers
  • spliced in the 98 wiring harness...can't remember if this was necessary but the 04 harness was melted in spots
  • took a stock exhaust system out of an Edge chassis and bent the pipe to fit...didn't need too much tweaking
  • used the stock keihin carbs and airbox...works fine
  • the cooling system was the biggest pain...I'll get a pic of what I ended up doing.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
A couple of pics. As you can see, the hose from the caliper runs through the reservoir bottle and then to the top of the head. The hose that comes from the bottom of the engine T's where the recoil rope exits and connects to both right side outlets of the front cooler.

That's a factory 800 VES pipe and is actually comparible to the 700 non-ves SLP single that was on it in the mid and high range. There is a bit of a low end bog though.

Sled pics 053.jpg Sled pics 054.jpg Sled pics 055.jpg Sled pics 057.jpg Sled pics 058.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features