• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 cat 600 busted crank

M
My neighbour just gave me a 1998 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 EFI twin. The crank is busted in two on the PTO side. He brought it to a local cat dealer a few years back when it broke to see what was wrong and decided not to fix it. It sat in his yard for a few years and when he looked under the hood, there were a # of parts missing. The computer, stator, and primary clutch are all missing. He thinks the cat dealer kept them and he confronted them but of course they said they didn't know what he was talking about. Anyways I would like to get this sled going again. It has only 984 miles on it. I have heard that the 98 motors were known for crank breakage so I'm hesisitant to buy a used motor. I don't want to buy a rebuilt crank as I need a stator, computer and clutch. I'm wondering how hard it would be to swap a carbed 580 into this sled. I see a lot more of these engines in my local buy and sell. Maybe I'm better off to just part this thing out? I see complete 98 powder special model sleds in running condition for sale for $1500. Buy one of these and keep mine for parts?

Premium Features