• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 or 163

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
163 isn't REALLY that much longer and it will be there when you need it.
Cheaper to go shorter later if you decide to. jmo.

You are right that there is not that much difference. However, I've ridden both lengths on a D8 and I felt the 163". It just seemed to drag behind and turn (pivot) differently. My style of riding is more boondocking that pure hill climbing, so I like the shorter length (but I wouldn't go lower than 155"). I say it depends on your style of riding.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
go big

Big guy, I say go with the 163? Unless you like tight boonin and bouncin off everything you can find?

I think a 155 will go anywhere a 163 will, you just might have to work it a little more.

Spread your hand out, and from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your fingers is already more than the difference in length on the ground between these two lenghts of track. The big difference is in the "footprint" or square inches of track on the ground. Now some say that translates into more flotation, who really knows?:noidea:

I'm still up in the air on this debackle myself.........

decisions,,,,,,,,,, decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, decisions??????????

Somebody please convince me.............:argue:

155 = more fun?????
163 = more float??????

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
Big guy, I say go with the 163? Unless you like tight boonin and bouncin off everything you can find?

I think a 155 will go anywhere a 163 will, you just might have to work it a little more.

Spread your hand out, and from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your fingers is already more than the difference in length on the ground between these two lenghts of track. The big difference is in the "footprint" or square inches of track on the ground. Now some say that translates into more flotation, who really knows?:noidea:

I'm still up in the air on this debackle myself.........

decisions,,,,,,,,,, decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, decisions??????????

Somebody please convince me.............:argue:

155 = more fun?????
163 = more float??????

This is the very question that has kicking my A$$ for years. I had an 98 Poo700, went from 136 to 151. Bought an 02 800 RMK 144, went to a 151. Bought an 07 M8 153, went to a 162 but hated it later in the year as the snow firmed up. We do alot of 5-6000 ft riding where the hills are rolling and the drift bashing is plentiful. For that I love the Poo 800 153 I have now, but the other day I was riding in the technical trees uphill in some soft snow and my bud on his 163 D8 and the other guys on 162x16 Doos were killing me. I rode the 163 and it just feels out of balance with too much of the sled behind you. I guess that a guy just needs 2 sleds, one for the steep n deep and 1 shorty for the meadows.

M

Motoman

Dec 31, 2007
franklin, id
I would tell you to do the 155 if you've been on a nitro 155 because this will float and get up on the snow way better. I got the chance to ride the 155 and was way impressed on how it got up on the snow and didn't wheelie or trench as bad as my 08 D8. And it does seem to handle better than the longer one in general.
Talking and riding with Brett Rassmussen he was always a 162 guy on cat, but switched to the 153 and said there is only 3-4 days a year he'd rather have the 162.
my .02

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
go with the 163 you wont regret it i love mine it isnt much longer but ull have it when you need it i love my 163 but i still want a longer track maby 174 just my.02

W

Weatherbyman

Sep 28, 2009
Renton, WA
My dilemma too!! I currently run a 151 on my 900 and am leaning toward the 155" right now......and it will fit on my trailer without hanging over.

I think it has been mentioned above but you just need to analyze your riding style, the areas you ride, and the type and depth of the snow your ride in. After that, are you happy with the length of the track you have now...is it doing everything you need it to? Are you into enjoying the powder or being the top highmarker.

My $.02!

hmm

I also cant decide, Im only 5'4" and 165 lbs and ride an 07 dragon 155.
Have ridden friends 800 163 and my little 700 goes where they go unless its 4' of bottomless powder happens only a couple of times (none this year).

So Im looking at the numbers now

my 07 dragon stock is 482 (yes mine has slp pipe and boss seat )

11 pro 163 is 437 that 45 lbs lighter and about two extra paddles on the ground

11 pro 155 is 431 thats51 lbs lighter same track and more power!

also told at exbo and a dealer the 155 rails are strait and the 163 are tipped.

HMMMmmm

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I would stick with the 155... sounds like you don't NEED a 163 so I wouldn't get one because other than those few days out of the year a 163 would make it all too easy. The best part of riding somewhere is the challenge of getting there... It keeps the riding skills sharp! besides with the performance already gained from switching to a Pro RMK, things will be alot easier than they are now. I want a Pro 144!!!!!!

Premium Features