• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 gearing???

R
Dec 30, 2007
Salmon arm
what gearing are in the 09s.just wondering if anyone has done them and how low should i go?is it a hard job to do.im looking for the extra umph when climbing in the steep and deep.heard it works well.any ideas let me know.thanks

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Stock the M8's have 57/63, M1000 are 60/60. i have read that a lot of guys are dropping down to 55/65. personally i've never changed them myself. If you do a search for gearing you'll find a ton of posts talking about gearing. Or some of the guys with more experience might chime in here pretty soon

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
here's my take on gearing... I have an 08 m1000 and gearing down definitely was a welcome change. I gained ZERO track speed climbing, but belt temps dropped (though I blow them consistently still, see my HUGE thread about it). i gave up NOTHING on the trail, expect for maybe some 100+ mph pull that i do every month or so. I could care less as a mountain sled at that speed isn't much fun. It does get up to speed faster than before and i really really like home much eaiser it is to creep out of places that i wouldn't have been able to before... a good mod, and i lost a bunch of weight as i did 56/64 in a diamond drive lite... Sled feels lighter than an M8 now. :eek:

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I dropped my '08 M8 to 54/66 and liked it! Feels a little snapper on the bottom end. Cooler clutches too!

Its not hard to do, you'll need a couple of tools to do it. A bearing puller and a two modded large flat head screwdrivers.

B

Bullcamp

Dec 6, 2007
WY
Go low M10

I'd put the lowest possible in it. I went 56/64. Wish I'd done 53/67. Really believe if your riding the mountains that you can't go low enough. Now I'm looking at secondary changes that probably would have been taken care of if I'd geared lower. Rode today in wet snow, first time all year I've smelled belt. Runs good with the stock clutching and the gear change but really have to push gas to get on top the snow. I think the sled would labor less and be more efficent with lower gearing. Don't need 80mph with an m10. Just want it to pop up on top the snow and spin the track until it gets where I want it to.:)

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I have a set of 53/67 non-reverse gears for sale if you want them.

Jason

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
As far as i can figure bdx 55\65 are supposed to be the best, they are also testing a new planetary gear supposed to be 40% stronger contact them sometimes they are on here as well they may answer this post.

Premium Features