• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Dragon Throttle Sticking During Storage

B

bigairrmk72

Nov 22, 2010
I bought my 09 Dragon last spring, only riding was a short test ride. I have since stored it inside and have checked on it twice and both times my throttle was stuck. If i pressed the throttle it would open but then not reclose. I removed the airbox and used brake cleaner, carb cleaner and then coated it in a penetrating oil. While I was using the cleaners i had to stick my hand in the carb to open and close the throttle. It works like it should now but it also did last time. Is there anything else I should do??

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Sticky throttle cable

Lube the cable and see if that helps. Each sesonn I use the throttle cable lube kit with a can of cable lube & the cable block with the lube fitting.

akrevrider

B

bigairrmk72

Nov 22, 2010
I will give the lube kit a try as an insurance But I think it may be some gunk on the spring mechanism that the cable pulls to open the throttle.... at least that is what i have been cleaning to fix the problem.

B

bigairrmk72

Nov 22, 2010
My throttle cable is still sticking.I purchased a cable lube oil kit and lubricated the cable and again cleaned the carb up. It was working fine (in storage still though) and I just checked on it again and it wasn't stuck but was sticky. I don't think its the cable, could it be where it attaches to the carb???

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
If you don't think it's the cable, disconnect it and see how the throttle body reacts. I'd be willing to bet that the cable is fraying and causing the issue.

B

bigairrmk72

Nov 22, 2010
so just remove the cable and then manually move the flaps to see if they spring back into place?

Premium Features