• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 D8 starting/idle bog

D

dragonwagon

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 6, 2009
My 09 D8 has only seen 3 days of riding so far. I ran 2 tanks of 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank during break-in just to be on the safe side. When I start the sled, the motor bogs and chugs until I give the throttle a little burp. Then it idles perfectly. I thought it could be because there is probably still some 2 stroke oil in the fuel. Just checking with others to see if this is normal for EFI. I've never owned a sled with EFI before. It also takes minimum 2 pulls to start unless I really put out and give it a hard pull, then it'll start on the first one, again just wondering if this is normal for EFI since I know a few M7, M8 riders that could probably start their sleds with their teeth on the first pull. This is all happening with the engine warmed up.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
My 09 D8 has only seen 3 days of riding so far. I ran 2 tanks of 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank during break-in just to be on the safe side. When I start the sled, the motor bogs and chugs until I give the throttle a little burp. Then it idles perfectly. I thought it could be because there is probably still some 2 stroke oil in the fuel. Just checking with others to see if this is normal for EFI. I've never owned a sled with EFI before. It also takes minimum 2 pulls to start unless I really put out and give it a hard pull, then it'll start on the first one, again just wondering if this is normal for EFI since I know a few M7, M8 riders that could probably start their sleds with their teeth on the first pull. This is all happening with the engine warmed up.
I have an 08 that has 09 piston/head/map update done to it..mine always idles great(no bog/chug at start) but it does take 1 hard pull or 2 good pulls to start it...have noticed that if the rope is pulled out farther seems to start 1 pull easier....

S
Aug 22, 2008
Dragonwagon i am starting to have the same thing..I would like to know what might be happing too..But i just ran with just one tank of oil in mine...

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
on efi sleds you will have to pull it over twice the first pull will activate the fuel injection and it should start on the second pull, I would change your plugs, I have an issue with mine and talked to the dealer last night and they said to replace the plugs, I guess its part of the 150 mile service. after running so much oil through it I think it is a good idea. mine will not always go into reverse when I push the button, but it will act like it is but it doesn't all the time

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
When I start the sled, the motor bogs and chugs until I give the throttle a little burp. Then it idles perfectly.

I hate to state the obvious but are you allowing the motor to warm up before you touch the throttle? Most sleds do run kinda rough and boggy until they get warmed up.

D

dragonwagon

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 6, 2009
shortstop20, I guess it is safe to assume you didn't read the post all the way through?:rolleyes: Yes, this happens with the engine warmed up all the way

A
Nov 30, 2008
i have a 09 D800 163 in the owner's book that talk about the non ethenol fuel and ethenol fuel, there's a plug under the black belt holder I beleve that it should be unpluged for ethenol I talked to the dealer here (Alaska)thay said , sum come pluged in sum don't IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OWNER TO CHECK. so you might want to check it , we have non ethenol fuel up here

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hey Dragon, when you start your sled and put it in reverse does the dash light blink fast or slow? if I remember right for lower elevation it should blink slow, for high elevations it should blink fast...might be it acidentilly got changed...if I remember right you hold the reverse button down for 5 seconds then release it to change..when it is in the wrong setting it affects idle..some thing to check...

D

dragonwagon

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 6, 2009
ak al - Yes, the wires are plugged in. I am in Calgary, AB. I don't think I've seen any ethanol fuel around the city so I am running plugged in for non-eth.

aksnowrider - After I give the throttle a burp it idles fine. The transition between forward and reverse is very smooth with no bog. The reverse light blinks slow but reverse only ever gets used at the truck. I'm not sure I understand what could be the wrong setting.

I've still got some pre-mix in the tank from break-in. I'm going out next week so maybe I'll run a few tanks of just fuel through and make sure the system is cleared out.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
ak al - Yes, the wires are plugged in. I am in Calgary, AB. I don't think I've seen any ethanol fuel around the city so I am running plugged in for non-eth.

aksnowrider - After I give the throttle a burp it idles fine. The transition between forward and reverse is very smooth with no bog. The reverse light blinks slow but reverse only ever gets used at the truck. I'm not sure I understand what could be the wrong setting.

I've still got some pre-mix in the tank from break-in. I'm going out next week so maybe I'll run a few tanks of just fuel through and make sure the system is cleared out.

try throwing in new plugs.....the reverse thing was just curiosity..when perc first came out my buddy accidently reset his to the hi alt setting..his sled idled way hi and way rough..figured you might have bumped yours to low alt setting while being at hi alt making it idle lower...

M
Oct 16, 2008
I got the same problem with mine even when it is warm it idles like crap and as soon as i hit the throttle and let off it works fine ive got 300mi on 155 09 d8 and have changed the plugs.....besides that no problems on pull starting...love the dragon dont think i would ride anything else

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
you guys might also check the throttle cable freeplay.if it is a little loose it might be messing with the idle...

Mar 15, 2011
the polaris fuel injection system is design for 2 pulls, 1 to prime and 1 to fire, u should never try to fire ur sled on the first pull this can leave the cylinders dry and cause scuffing.

Premium Features