• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 m1000 no spark when warm.....1600mi

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
1600mi and no major complaints............but today.

Running like normal, 10miles in and wham....no ignition. Feels like someone turned off the ignition. Added slack to the throttle cable incase it is a TPS issue, no go. Check everthing over, no broken wires or rubs. Let it cool off 5min, and it starts. Run it 200yards and dead. Repeat, and repeat. 200-400yards and no spark. Wait 5 minutes and it'll run 200yards and dead.

ONly code we have ever seen is ignition coil failure per the dealer. Otherwise never had a problem till today. Checked the main harnesses and everything looks fine..............did notice my handwarmers quit today also.........CCU??

ideas......frickin got to wait till dealer opens on tuesday....:mad::mad::mad:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I've seen the injector wires rub on the heat shield cause this to happen. Usually when I've seen this type of thing happen its from the wire getting hot and expanding at a connection either loosing contact or shorting out. with the hand warmer issue i'd start by disconecting the hand warmers on the handle bars and see what happens.

D

ddbigcat

Nov 26, 2007
alberta
Most likely the main wiring connector that is behind the heat shield on the steering post hoop. Unplug it and seeif the sled runs. If it runs fine then there is some corrosion from moisture in that connector. Clean them up good and put some dielectric grease in it and reconnect. Sled should run fine and the warmers should work also.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like a stator to me. Had mine go on my old 900 same thing. Once it heats up it quits, let it cool off then fired up again and ran for about 5 min then quit again.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
hoping its that simple. Not an ECU problem, but hopefully the sled will die running on the jackstand in front of the dealer.

9 times outta 10 what happens is that the stator gets hot and thats when it acts up and will loose spark or power output. Usually running it on a track stand revving it up wont make enough underhood heat like riding it down the trail would to make it act up. and 9.9 times outta 10 when you have these symptoms its the stator and needs to be replaced.

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
well, if the service guy has a 'great' memory he'll recall that just 2 weeks ago.
the sled was checked for codes. we did it in my trailer with his labtop. He stated, weird 1600mi and just 11x ignition coil failure. Pretty clean sled....would have expected 100's of random codes.."just 11x ignition coil failure, wierd"

R
Feb 22, 2009
oregon
wires under the tank to servo ground out allso ther is a update for the hand warmers that stop working the ecu needs a plug that stays with the box should get the heat back

Premium Features