• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07' M1000 Skid setup.

G
Mar 27, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
Could somebody help me setup the rear skid on an 07 m1000 162". Currently i have my limiter straps all the way out, and thats about all i know. i need this broken down for a dummy. I know the 1000 is heavy, but it just has too much pressure on the front end i feel. somebody help me with something that works, I weigh probably 210lbs loaded. Sled is pretty much stock, and was setup by previous owner. I noticed theres been a couple threads on this, but couldnt really find what i was lookin for.

S

Samurai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
CALGARY
Could somebody help me setup the rear skid on an 07 m1000 162". Currently i have my limiter straps all the way out, and thats about all i know. i need this broken down for a dummy. I know the 1000 is heavy, but it just has too much pressure on the front end i feel. somebody help me with something that works, I weigh probably 210lbs loaded. Sled is pretty much stock, and was setup by previous owner. I noticed theres been a couple threads on this, but couldnt really find what i was lookin for.

Soften the rear torsion spring and tighten the middle shock. Helps ski pressure but then causes other evils to raise their ugly heads. It's like 1 step ahead and 2 steps back. The skid is a real piece of chit, hundreds of combinations but none are really sucessful. The 08 and 09 is much better but far from perfect. Revalving helps but it's far from being right.
We are starting over Zbroz middle, Ohlins front and R.E. rear.
We personally have come to the conclusion the 07 skid should be garbaged.:eek:

T
Nov 27, 2007
Blackfoot Idaho
I put the front mount rear skid in bottom hole. Takes alot of weight off of skis. Then i put 05 m7 shock on rear of skid to get transfer. Works good without spending the big $$$ on new one. You can have the rear shock revalved for around $50 that i highly recomend helps alot. Stock is way to stiff.

G
Mar 27, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
thanks for the help, i wondered about lowering the front, and what do you mean by having my shock "revalved". i mean i understand revalving, but what do i tell the guy doing the work to do with it. should it be someone familiar with what the 07 skid needs, or can i tell him what i need it valved for? And also what other evils will i get by losing some ski pressure. I'd rather have a rough ride and not trench alot, if i'm going to be trenching just to lose a little ski pressure, not sure i want that either!

Last edited:
S

Samurai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
CALGARY
thanks for the help, i wondered about lowering the front, and what do you mean by having my shock "revalved". i mean i understand revalving, but what do i tell the guy doing the work to do with it. should it be someone familiar with what the 07 skid needs, or can i tell him what i need it valved for? And also what other evils will i get by losing some ski pressure. I'd rather have a rough ride and not trench alot, if i'm going to be trenching just to lose a little ski pressure, not sure i want that either!

There you go your already on the Merry Go Round.
Altering skid position changes attack angles.[Remember dropping the skid is not a drop and roll of the drive system] So you lower the rear to compensate. In the end you end up with the same problem ,just now your tippier if thats a word. You also get more pronounced wieght in the rear on acceleration. That stiff rear shock will drive the track to where you dont want it to go.The design of the rear scizzor has chitty compensating abilities, because of that it doesn't require rebound abilities. It's always in bladder blowing mode.
The fox shock on the rear 07 skid is a piece of junk, sure you can revalve it. All you really accomplish is now you will have a little less of a piece of junk.
The front shock needs to be more than singularly rated. It first needs to flex easily to the initial throttle to get up on the snow, yet it need s to dampen with required. That stock shock will never accomplish that act.
Shocks need to be multi spring rated and valved for the wieght of cargo. Or have dampening and compensating adjustments.
We think the front shocks need this also so the whole suspension works properly together.
Not to say that certain things wont make it better, but the 07 skid is a platform which is near impossible to make efficent.
If I was you I'd save myself some heartache and think about a after market skid. Or you can get your spark plug wrench out and use the 3 position torsion spring adjustment LOL How mechanically barbaric.

G
Mar 27, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
wow, i almost feel like i shouldnt have brought this up. lol. maybe the way it is now is about as good as i'm gonna get it without aftermarket items. i think i'll try lowering the front a little and see what happens. maybe take a ride on friday and try out a bunch of different angles and adjustments. just to see if i can find a happy median, which i probably already have. Dont know how many people have this problem in stock form, but it just doesnt feel right to me. I have enough ski pressure by the end of the day my arms and shoulders are sore from i guess trying to lift on the front end cuz thats what it naturally feels it needs. I rode my buddies dragon, and granted the 700 is alot lighter, but from the way it felt, i'm not sure i like my 1000 anymore. It was night and day difference as far as handling was concerned. So thats what started this topic. just hoping theres more comfort to be found.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Heber City, Utah
wow, i almost feel like i shouldnt have brought this up. lol. maybe the way it is now is about as good as i'm gonna get it without aftermarket items. i think i'll try lowering the front a little and see what happens. maybe take a ride on friday and try out a bunch of different angles and adjustments. just to see if i can find a happy median, which i probably already have. Dont know how many people have this problem in stock form, but it just doesnt feel right to me. I have enough ski pressure by the end of the day my arms and shoulders are sore from i guess trying to lift on the front end cuz thats what it naturally feels it needs. I rode my buddies dragon, and granted the 700 is alot lighter, but from the way it felt, i'm not sure i like my 1000 anymore. It was night and day difference as far as handling was concerned. So thats what started this topic. just hoping theres more comfort to be found.
Mine did the same, a Timbersled rear suspension fixed it.

You might try moving the rear sissor where it bolts to the rails one hole forward. this was in snotech magizine.

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Read the threads on "fox float skid setups" and "geo mod". Some good reading in there. You might contact Holz Pacing Products before you give up on that skid. Talk to Mrquick68 on this forum. I think he has the Holz revalve and happy with it.

Premium Features