• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 m7 10.4 secondary conversion

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
I am switching my m7 over to the 10.4 secondary. I was wondering if i should still run the same helix and spring that are on the 10.0 secondary. I will eventually be getting the RKT kit, but i was wondering if it would be an improvment over the stock 10.0 secondary to just run the 10.4 secondary with the same helix and spring. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

D
Nov 28, 2007
One other thing you can do is cut .065 off the flat spots of your old 10" as well as cutting down the gold ring. Replace the rollers while your at it because it is good to punch the pins out. Now you have a 10.4" secondary but you can get your belt on and off easier.

Put the RTK kit in the 10" secondary and compare the two on the hill and you will not loose any ride time. :D

This is what I did and if you want you can still go back to the 036 later if you want or just run the 046. I like the 046 because it is softer and you can run your primarys belt to sheave tighter.

Cheer Don.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
One other thing you can do is cut .065 off the flat spots of your old 10" as well as cutting down the gold ring. Replace the rollers while your at it because it is good to punch the pins out. Now you have a 10.4" secondary but you can get your belt on and off easier.

Put the RTK kit in the 10" secondary and compare the two on the hill and you will not loose any ride time. :D

This is what I did and if you want you can still go back to the 036 later if you want or just run the 046. I like the 046 because it is softer and you can run your primarys belt to sheave tighter.

Cheer Don.

Why wouldn't i just put the RKT clutch kit on the 10.4?

R

Rich

Nov 30, 2007
North Dakota

Cheer Don.

You did this instead of converting to the 10.4" secondary? Are you talking about the flat spots in the center, or ???

P
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, Wa
Is the RK T kit the best to use? My wifes M sucks at backshifting. Been reading alot on the subject and there is a lot of kits out there. Some offer springs,weights, and pins but no helix while others offer only the helix. Which is best? Sled climbs very well and good top end but won't back shift. Made sure the adjuster nut was tight. What to do? Not meant to hyjack your thread BFC but along the same lines. Input....

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Is the RK T kit the best to use? My wifes M sucks at backshifting. Been reading alot on the subject and there is a lot of kits out there. Some offer springs,weights, and pins but no helix while others offer only the helix. Which is best? Sled climbs very well and good top end but won't back shift. Made sure the adjuster nut was tight. What to do? Not meant to hyjack your thread BFC but along the same lines. Input....

No worries. Like you said there is alot of kits out there and alot of suggestions as well. I have heard that one of the problems on the 7's is that the secondary is just a little too small. I picked up a 10.4 off an m8 that is supposed to help out. RKT seems to be one of the more popular kits to run, another popular one is the CPC kit. These kits will help you get the backshift and upshift that you are looking for.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Before spending all that money on a kit, why not address the issues with what you have. Will cost about 1/3 the bucks.

To help your backshift, buy the d&d shift assist bearing and install it. 20.00 will solve alot of your backshift problems.

There are some other things you can do also that are inexpensive.

Premium Features