• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 King cat -cel

thumbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2013
rapid city,sd
I have an 05 King cat 900 efi. Starts and runs good cold. After it warms up the temp light flashes 6 times. Previous owner told me that he sent the ECU to cat and had tested- tests good, tried different stator, voltage regulator and different servo motor. When I bought the sled the light flashed 5 times and I found a poor connection at the voltage regulator, repaired wire and now the light flashs 6 times but only after warming up the sled and riding maybe 1/2 mile from trailer. Shut sled down, restarts good and runs good for 100 yards to maybe a mile. Checked the servo motor and it turns when the rpm gets around 7000. When the light comes on, the servo motor stops turning and the engine boggs down and you cann't get any rpm out of it.Tried running it with out the hood to cut down the electrical load- didnt help Read several posts, Will do this on a stand, has new ignition switch, runs same with switch unplugged, handle bar heaters off. Fresh fuel, plugs are damp, tried new plugs, no change Acts up sooner the harder you run it.

Last edited:

thumbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2013
rapid city,sd
I have opened up the harness and found no problem, ohmed from ECU to Servo motor-.2ohm. The motor does turn both ways when running until the light comes on. Had covers off of the vavles and everything looked pretty clean.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
check the heavy guage ground jumper wire from the bulkhead to the motor by the recoil, ive seen them break from vibration and do this.

Arcticatdan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Newport, WA
I also ran another ground wire from the ground on the voltage reg. to the bolt with the engine ground on the frame. Also clean the connections at the grounds and use inhibitor on the connections. Are the valves free in the engine?

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
servo

I had a 07 M8 doing the same thing, code and everything you described, replaced the servo motor and all is good now. It did work sometimes and then would quit altogether, but the motor was the problem, hope this helps.

Last edited:

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
servo

Borrow one off of a good one and try it, only takes a few minutes to try. Most years are all the same. I put one on the M8 from a 01 800 to diagnose and them bought a new take off from Michelle at Oregon Trail for half the cost of new and all is good now.
Good luck

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I just sid an m7 that was acting very strange also it tripped a servo motor code and the servo itself would twitch and not stay fully opened sled ran horribly i thought it was going into limp mode since it wouldnt pull rpm and the airbox was full of fuel turned out to be the ignition coil!

thumbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2013
rapid city,sd
05 kingcat cel

Found the cables wound under the drum on the servo motor, took them off and routed them back over the top. Fired up motor and cracked throttle, drum spun towards mag side instead of pto side.Don't have a used one to try.

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Servo

You just described exactly what mine was doing. My thoughts were it tried to open and didn't move and them tried to close thinking it was open and of course it went the wrong direction and wound the cables up, because it again thought it was open. Where are you located, I still have the old one I diagnosed mine with. I am pretty darn sure you need a new servo motor.
Michelle at Oregon trail had new ones that were take offs for some reason and very reasonable in price.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
My 900 efi did this same thing many moons ago. After i cooked a voltage regulator and a stator I finally found the problem. Under the oil tank the wire harness goes under a water line or something (cant remember exactly). Right there the wires get rubbed trough and ground out. It took me looking 2-3 times before i found it but sure enough, grounded wires cause all kinds of problems..

Premium Features