• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 Mtn Cat 600 whats it worth?

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Hi All,

looking at an 04 Mtn Cat 600 with 2540 miles on it.

Whats it worth on avg? looks to be in good condition in the pictures. Would be picking it up for my 13 year old son that weighs 90 Lbs. It has 144 track.

What kind of miles can I expect before a rebuild is needed. How long are the lugs on this track?

Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of and look for in looking at this sled?

Any thing else I should know?

Thanks,

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Guy is asking $2000 but said he is willing to go down a little, I doubt he would go down $500.

How do I check drive shaft bearings and clutch?

While I would love to get an M6, my budget is about $2k.

Thanks,

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
There are a couple M7's on KSL for around $2500.00. Didn't realize a M6 was that hard to find, I didn't find any that weren't too much money. Does it have to be a Cat? I have seen some Polaris 600's go pretty reasonable. I have one, use it as a backup/loaner sled, it just keeps going.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The suspension geometry doesn't work well on the 04 king kats. it binds up and basically only goes so far and then kind of locks up. I don't know if it is the same suspension in the 600 and the 900's but one would assume it is.
If its just trail riding, you may be alright. If you are gonna do any type of mountain riding it is not a good sled for a beginner, or an experienced rider for that matter.
My wife and I had two 04 king kats and we had ended selling hers to get a better riding skidoo rev for her.
I have a ton of mountan riding experience and I had to pull out everything in my bag of tricks to make the sled go were I wanted it to go while climbing.
The owner of Kmod suspension invented the Kmod suspension to fix the king kat suspension because it was so bad. A bit of industry info for ya!

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
There are a couple M7's on KSL for around $2500.00. Didn't realize a M6 was that hard to find, I didn't find any that weren't too much money. Does it have to be a Cat? I have seen some Polaris 600's go pretty reasonable. I have one, use it as a backup/loaner sled, it just keeps going.

No it does not need to be a cat, It's just that I am most familiar with cats.

What year Polaris 600s would be good for around a 2k budget?

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
The suspension geometry doesn't work well on the 04 king kats. it binds up and basically only goes so far and then kind of locks up. I don't know if it is the same suspension in the 600 and the 900's but one would assume it is.
If its just trail riding, you may be alright. If you are gonna do any type of mountain riding it is not a good sled for a beginner, or an experienced rider for that matter.
My wife and I had two 04 king kats and we had ended selling hers to get a better riding skidoo rev for her.
I have a ton of mountan riding experience and I had to pull out everything in my bag of tricks to make the sled go were I wanted it to go while climbing.
The owner of Kmod suspension invented the Kmod suspension to fix the king kat suspension because it was so bad. A bit of industry info for ya!

Can anyone confirm the suspension issues also existed on the 600?

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
I don't know about the suspension other than they are not the best riding sled out there. The 600 Cat engines had a bad habit of the pins that keep the piston rings from turning falls out at about 2500 miles. When the ends of the rings get in the exhaust port it ruins the cylinder and the piston. I have had good luck with SPI pistons in these engines.

I forgot to add that I bought an 03 600 with engine troubles a year ago. It had the problem like I described above. Found a good cylinder for $150 and pistons for about $140 and did some other minor work to it and sold it for $2000 last November.

Last edited:
B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
I honestly don't think they are as bad as they are being made out to be here. My King will out climb both my dad's m8 and m1000. My sled isn't stock but it will keep up with m's no problem.

20140120_201228.jpg

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
I had both 2001 and 2003 600 Mountain Cats 136 track and there was nothing wrong with them. I rode each for 4-5 years then hand down to wife. Put several thousand miles on both, lots of boondocking in Montana Little Belts, Cooke City, Seeley and Big Sky. If I recall the tracks were 1 1/4 “ -1 ½ but did OK. About average for that time period. The 144 would be a plus. The front drive shaft bearing behind the secondary clutch side needed regular greasing, moisture would tend to get in the bearing and if not tended to would go out every couple of years. Hard to see behind clutch and has retainer over it, lay sled on side and check for lateral play on front shaft. Bearings are not that expensive or hard to replace so no big deal. They are NOT a King cat which is heavier and kind of a hog IMO but with more power.

167.JPG

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
I paid $2200 for my KC900 and dropped another $500 getting reverse setup.
Seems common for the 900's, so I wouldn't give over $1800 for a 600.
Actually been looking for a Powder Special 600 w/reverse & electric start for the ol' lady... but she really doesn't care, so I haven't been looking very hard.

I haven't ridden anything else since I was a kid, so I have no comparison base... but I've got one leg and I can get my king to keep up with other, mid-range riders on 800 and 1000 Doo's easily enough. It doesn't handle like a dream but I didn't expect it too, with all the weight and power.

kakscat

Lifetime Membership
Aug 21, 2008
Great Falls
My son (5.6 100#) rides that same sled 2004 600 mountain cat with the 144. That little 600 will surprise you with how well it runs for a 600. I personally ride this sled when my m8 is down. That 600 takes me further than it should. Climbing, side hilling or playing in the trees. Fun little sled

Premium Features