• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 king cat no electrical

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Voltage regulator, next is your stator. you most likely have a grounded power wire. The place it always happened is under the oil tank, where the wire harness splits and goes to the back of the sled. Its not super easy to find. it took me looking 3 times before i found it. take the oil tank off so you can get a good look.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
So I replaced my fuse and checked my ground and wiring. It all looks like it is fine.. is there any way to test it with a multimeter?
and Rixster are you saying my stator will probably go out next?
Thanks again

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
The place it always happened is under the oil tank, where the wire harness splits and goes to the back of the sled. Its not super easy to find. it took me looking 3 times before i found it. take the oil tank off so you can get a good look.[/QUOTE]
So it doesn't ground on the bulkhead? I followed the wire from the gauge and it looks like its grounded on the bulkhead? maybe that was from the electric start I ripped out?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Yeah, it is a spot that the wire harness will rub and at some point rub through the insulation on the wires and ground out. thats when it starts to cook stuff.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
So I took my oil tank out and found I think where you were talking about Rixster. but the wires looked fine.. Should I just buy a new voltage regulator and cross my fingers? thanks again for the help guys!

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
If you unplug your tach and check voltage between the yellow and brown wires (with the engine running) you will have 12v AC give or take if your regulator is good. If it is 15 or more or zero then it is almost certain that your regulator is bad. Hope this helps.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
no lights

Also check your hand and thumb warmer. I have had these go bad and do the same thing. Simply turn them off and see if that does it. just an extra thought.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
NO BUENO!

so I tore everything apart and check the wiring.. again. it looks like the previous owner might have messed with it a little. I tried fixing some connections and threw it all back together and nothing.. no headlight, handwarmers, or tac. I have spent so much time trying to figure this thing out. I might just buy a used voltage regulator and see what happens. at this point I am just confused on what to do or look for.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
ANY IDEAS?

Does anyone else have any ideas? I tried a voltage regulator and that wasn't it. I bought an extra stator just in case. I was loading my sled up to go riding and as I was going up the ramp my lights and gauges started working again. I have tried fixing connections but no success. any one close to mapleton that could help a brother out? i'll buy you dinner?

Premium Features