• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'04 700 RMK Shutting Down

My wife rides a '04 700 RMK. Last week we went out for our first ride of the season and on day 2, the sled just started to shut down with no warning. It did this a couple of times in the morning and became progressively worse as the day went on. The sled ran awesome and there were no dead spots so I don't think this a carbeurator issue. Twice after the sled shut down I pulled the plugs out. The sled is not running lean and the plugs were dry. What has me stumped is that when the sled dies, it completely shuts down. No bogging or sputtering. It 's just like you hit the kill switch. At first I thought electrical but when I pulled the plugs they were completely dry. If it was electrical I would assume that the plugs would be wet. I would appreciate any insight you all might have to offer.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Some time when the stater is going bad it will act like this, after you let it sit it will work again but eventually it quit's all together. Did you test for spark while it was down?

The stator could be the culprit but the sled always had spark when we pulled the plugs but there was a time delay by the time we pulled the plugs. Is there an easy way to test the stator? Wouldn't the plugs still be wet if this was a spark issue?

Premium Features