• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 RMK 800 Temp Issues

F
Long story short, I continue to have problems with what I believe is my cooling system. I have "burped," it, flushed, everything I can think of. It normally starts out with a couple of miles of riding, engine loses power, and sounds very poor. Shut down, cool down, start up able to ride a bit more and same thing. Would it be a computer issue? Or something more... help is greatly appreciated.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Long story short, I continue to have problems with what I believe is my cooling system. I have "burped," it, flushed, everything I can think of. It normally starts out with a couple of miles of riding, engine loses power, and sounds very poor. Shut down, cool down, start up able to ride a bit more and same thing. Would it be a computer issue? Or something more... help is greatly appreciated.

Do you have a temp sensor ? what does it read ? checked water pump and belt ? checked DET sensor ?

F
Water pump and belt were replaced last year. No temp gauge for how hot its getting. Hey I really appreciate your response... its just baffling me what to try. I live at 1500 ft., but ride at 6500 and up... would that have something to do with keeping pressure in the system ya think? Again, I really appreciate the help.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
the impeller could be loose on the water pump. also you could have a bad temp sensor. is the motor really hot or is it normal when it comes on. make sure your running board coolers are warm. are you running scratchers? there is no det sensor on the 02. are you riding slow or fast. sleds do not cool when going slow down the trails

F
Running fast, it just did it again in about 2 feet of fresh on a good base. Running boards are good, engine seems a bit warm but nothing like Ive seen happen to my friends. Is the sensor replacement expensive? Something I could do at home or a shop item? I really do appreciate your folks help... good thing we have a week solid of heavy heavy snow, but I hope I can get it fixed.... The only other small thing I can think of is I added a bit of anti-freeze (when it was cold, hadnt started it in a couple of months)... Would this again make the need for another bleeding of the lines??? Thanks so much...

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
if your coolers are warm you are good on the bleeding. usually they are pretty hot when they over heat. I would put a new temp sensor in it and if it fixes it great if not its good to have a spare. they are around $20 just unscrew it from the head and install the new one.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I would give you good odds that it is nothing more than a bad temp snesor. It sits in the head right next to the themostat housing. Like was said, they are about $20 and are VERY common to go bad. When they do, they will put your computer in limp mode and make it run like crap. Good luck and let us know.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Temp sensor usually is bad completely though so it doesn't work at all right off the trailer.

Check your thermostat and make sure it is functioning completely. I've seen them come part way apart, still open, but not all the way and cause restricted flow. Motor over heats, but running boards are just warm to the tough. It's a 5 minute check, drain the coolant down a little bit (siphon out of the bottle), take the 2 bolts out of the thermo housing, pop out the thermostat and inspect. For added check, throw it in a pot of water on the stove with a cooling thermometer and see what temp it pops open at.

sled_guy

N
Feb 27, 2010
WI
I've had a similar experience which caused the sled to bogg and shut down after a short distance. If I rode at a slow pace it was fine. Problem was a kinked fuel line between the pump and carbs. Ran fine until the fuel supply could not fill the bowls fast enough.
Since you stated your sled ran fine and without problems or overheating concerns during the initial warm-up and for the first couple miles, this does not sound like a temp sensor.
If this doesn't help you, please provide a little more information as to what is actually happening when this occurs.

F
Thanks to all of you for your help and info sharing. I got a temp sensor and a thermostat. The original thermostat was delayed slightly in opening, after a good little fluid flush, swapped parts, and a 75 mile trail ride it seems as though the problem is corrected..... Thanks all for your advice and help, it pointed me in the right direction.

Premium Features