• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 800,how to test temp sender?

O
Nov 27, 2007
hello,i have an 01 800 twin installed in a two seat sand car and it is running very lazy right now.I think the temp sender has gone bad,I have two senders here,one wont read and the other is showing 1140 ohms.Does anyone know what a good sender should read?My temp light is on as soon as i turn the key on so i think this is where the problem lies,i would just like to know how to test the sender.also i would like to build a bypass plug as there is no local source for an slp plug or a new temp sender and I want to fix this ASAP,do i just need to make a plug with a 200ohm resister wired into it? Does anyone know what temp the stock sender turns the ign retard on at?Is there a way to trick the stock sender to let the engine run hotter before starting to retard ignition?thanks !!

taz1a.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can't help you with the ohms and the electrical knowledge, but I do know that if the sensor on the top the head cover is bad then it will run rough or fat on the bottom end but when you get to midrange, if flat won't run hardly at all. Almost like you have it at half choke.

Try this...take it off, run it and see if it's any worse.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
hello,i have an 01 800 twin installed in a two seat sand car and it is running very lazy right now.I think the temp sender has gone bad,I have two senders here,one wont read and the other is showing 1140 ohms.Does anyone know what a good sender should read?My temp light is on as soon as i turn the key on so i think this is where the problem lies,i would just like to know how to test the sender.also i would like to build a bypass plug as there is no local source for an slp plug or a new temp sender and I want to fix this ASAP,do i just need to make a plug with a 200ohm resister wired into it? Does anyone know what temp the stock sender turns the ign retard on at?Is there a way to trick the stock sender to let the engine run hotter before starting to retard ignition?thanks !!

Sensor reading @ room temp (68* F) = 2432 ohms +/- 250 ohms

and in boiling water (212* F ) = 192 ohms +/- 30 ohms

The newer updated sensors (identified by a small strip of yellow tape on the wire lead) allows the temps to go hotter before tripping the "retard/stutter" mode. This was the replacement sensor they came out with mid 2001 to address the hot running EDGE's @ that time.

Bypass option, NOT recommending it, buy a new sensor, strap it to anywhere but the engine, plug the coolant hole in the head with a 3/8" pipe plug. 200 ohm resistor should work as well.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:
O
Nov 27, 2007
thanks guys.
kraven,if the sensor reads 2000+ ohms at room temp wouldnt i want to make a bypass with a 2000 ohm resister instead of 200 ohms?At 200 ohms it would be telling the cdi the engine is hot and the retard would be triggered? i picked up a 2000 ohm and 200 ohm resister today and built a test plug with the 2000 ohm resister but havent tried it yet.
BTW, my two sensors are both reading about 1966 ohms at room temp but its hard to get a reading,i get the reading just for a second or two and then my meters (tried all 3 I own) show open circuit.

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
thanks guys.
kraven,if the sensor reads 2000+ ohms at room temp wouldnt i want to make a bypass with a 2000 ohm resister instead of 200 ohms?At 200 ohms it would be telling the cdi the engine is hot and the retard would be triggered? i picked up a 2000 ohm and 200 ohm resister today and built a test plug with the 2000 ohm resister but havent tried it yet.
BTW, my two sensors are both reading about 1966 ohms at room temp but its hard to get a reading,i get the reading just for a second or two and then my meters (tried all 3 I own) show open circuit.

You're correct on the 2000 ohms, typing too fast.

It's been a while since I tested one but I'm pretty sure I remember the readings holding.????

Any yellow tape on any of those wire leads?

BTW, cool sandrail.

I was looking to buy one of those POLARIS RZR-S so that I could bring my 5-year old with me.

O
Nov 27, 2007
I just ran the buggy with my homemade 2000 ohm bypass and it is pulling real hard like it should,but it is running fairly warm ,175deg after a few WOT pulls. I need the sender functional for my cooling fan to run so i will have to pickup a new sender asap.
The buggy is a "tazcar" and i have it for sale for 15K,they are 40 new and mine is in show condition and was featured in dirt wheels mag a few years back.The kids love going for a rip in it.We are loading up tomorrow and taking the taz and the pilots to moses lake dunes to play,just trying to get everything running right before we leave!
thanks for your help !

taz3d.jpg

Premium Features