• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's a good GPS to buy for snowmobiling

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Are there any durable enough for dash/handlebar mount?

I have my rino mounted on my hood between my other gauges. Its been there for 3 seasons without any trouble at all. I have a Garmin rino, and ram mounts makes a mount for it to go on your hood, or bars. I like it on the hood so when i have to roll the sled over it doesnt get damaged, if it was on your bars its a little scary.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Garmin

I use one exactly like the one in the picture above. It's old, simple, durable, waterproof, less than $150, now. What more do you need. I have a good topo program to use with it, works good. One feature I would like is to be able to upload maps to it. Newer ones do this.-00's

V

Vboost

Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
I use a Garmin GPSmap60CSx I track my rides and have never lost satellite reception with the GPS in my backback or dash bag works great..

R

ronmexico78

Feb 28, 2008
Gps

I bought a Garmin Legend Cx for under $200.00 on flea-bay. Works awesome. Colour, uploadable maps, track-back, etc...
Probably exactly the same features as the Rhino 530, but $300 less than the 530.
I also bought 2 GMRS radios $25/bucks. Setup is just not as convienient as the 530

I think garmin also makes another Rhino that is a little cheaper thean the 530 and has gps. I think its called Rhino 110 ??

I reserached this all a long time ago

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I have the Rino 130.
It is a good unit, but a little hard to navigate the interface.

I used to be all for the handheld radio/GPs combos, but I found you can get more features and better screens and functions from just a GPS. and then buy a good radio... at a much lower price..

I think of a radio as also a form of emergency equipment and should be on your body at all times. If you get separated from your sled in an accident (AB_Summit was) and you have no way to get to it, you can't radio for help.

He didn't carry a radio, but I realize that when you are in a situation like he was, having a radio on your body would be essential.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I have had great luck with the Garmin 60cs. Whatever one you get, make sure you get one with the upgraded antenna. I think most of the new ones have it now, but some of the older garmins would lose reception in the trees.

Also use lithium batteries. They last a LOT longer in the cold temps. Regular bateries ususally shutoff after 5-6 hours when it is -20.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I use one exactly like the one in the picture above. It's old, simple, durable, waterproof, less than $150, now. What more do you need. I have a good topo program to use with it, works good. One feature I would like is to be able to upload maps to it. Newer ones do this.-00's

$150? You overpaid. I paid $40 for mine off craigslist.

Also, using Google Maps and either EasyGPS on windows or LoadMyTracks on Mac will let you squirt tracks/waypoints/routes into the GPS...

need a USB-Serial adapter if you don't ahve a serial port, or the serial-4pin cable if you do have one. The software's free.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Also use lithium batteries. They last a LOT longer in the cold temps. Regular bateries ususally shutoff after 5-6 hours when it is -20.

Or power it off your sled... most new GPSs can take 12V, which makes connecting it to a sled real easy.

Premium Features