• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gps recommendations

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Good day everyone. I plan on purchasing a gps for sledding this winter and would like some recommendations. I am considering the Garmin Rino 530 HCX. I have no experience with a gps and would prefer something easy to use and easy to set up on a sled. Thank you.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
i've heard good things about the rino but after a lot of thought i think i am going to get the colorado 400t just because of the color screen and ease of use.

sledboy82

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2008
Fargo, ND
i just picked up my rino 530 hcx and i love it. bought mine off of ebay brand new for 379.00.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Whatever you get, make sure it says "Garmin" on it.

Or "Trimble", if you have a ton of $ to throw around, want cm precision & have a place on your sled for an antenna and controller.

Some of it depends on what you want in a GPS.... The rinos are nice because of the radio feature, but if you have a good radio already just go with a regular GPS.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Or "Trimble", if you have a ton of $ to throw around, want cm precision & have a place on your sled for an antenna and controller. QUOTE]

Does that include auto-steer and full mapping capabilities ? :D:D

Boone

M
Nov 26, 2007
Garmin

Garmin 60 CSX or 76 CSX are both great if you want just GPS.
Color screen. Super fast to lock in, Great reception in the woods.
Shaped a little different so try holding both.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
We roll wif the Garmin eTrex Vista HCX....works awesome!

S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
Gps

I use a Garmin 60 cs and it is great. The color display is easy to see, and the topo maps are easy to load and use. I built a mount for the handlebar clamp on my m7 so I can see the screen all the time---easy access for marking waypoints.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
The Garmin 120,130,530 is great, but if no one else has one in your group, wouldn't the radio tracking feature be useless?
Correct. The radio operates on FRS frequencies, so that will talk to the cheap FRS radios. Receiving the data transmissions the rinos transmit requires another Rino, or a radio with a TNC, computer, and software to decode the packets. If you don't have a Rino, the position transmissions are just quick little squawks.

I have a Garmin Rino 120, if you want to mount it to your sled check this out:
+1 for Ram-Mount. Great company to buy from and their stuff is quality; and about the same cost as Garmin's OEM mounts.

M
Love my Garmin 60Cx use it almost everyday. Ram mounts are awesome too use that almost everyday too. Ram has a lifetime warranty. Last year I went over the bars and broke the ram mount (GPS was unhurt and I was just winded). They replaced to no questions asked. I was so impressed with that I bought another one so I have two complete set ups one for the truck and one for the sled.

R
Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
I use a Garmin 276c as the screens on the handheld models are too small for me.

276c mounted on my 08 Crossfire
GPS2.jpg

276c mounted on my 06 Crossfire
cfsledgps276side.jpg

cfsledgps276leftside.jpg

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
The pics are appreciated. I will be purchasing a gps for my M1000 asap so the pics of the crossfire are exactly what i needed. Thanks again everyone!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features