• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Time for a new GPS

N
I know this is asked alot but i need help on finding a new gps system for sledding. I had a lowrance touch screen but the battery didnt hold up so i think i want a garmin. Can anybody give me any ideas on what to get or what you like.

thanks in advance

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Get a Garmin. For a consumer-grade GPS, they make by far the best equipment out there.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
^^^X2

I work with GPS units all day as a GIS technician. I work with Trimble, way to expensive for consumer use. But what I use is a Garmin, and would never go to anything else. Very accurate, durable, and they have it nailed down when it comes to being user friendly.

The other thing is that they are easy to update, collect data, and also uploading map layers. Don't overpay for a GPS with a bunch of features you won't use, I am an expert on these and I still only run a Garmin eTrex Legend, no color screen or radio features, but it is all I need and I love it.

PM me if you have any other questions on them, and I'll do my best to help ya

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Garmin Rino130......love it so far but I just got it a month ago. i'm sure it'll work good on the sled.............it did on the sea-doo this year:D:beer;

C

ckspeed

Dec 17, 2007
Malcolm, NE
does anybody know what the difference between the etrex vista hcx and the 60csx

Quad helix antenna on the 60CSx vs patch. The 60CSX uses the SirfIII chip, the Vista uses the new MediaTek chip.
Performance has been about the same from what I've heard, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that. I've looked at the new Vista too just due to the small form factor and superior battery life. It does have a smaller screen, but the pixels are smaller giving you a finer display.

I think it comes down to personal preference on this one.....:rolleyes:

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Just gonna post the PM I sent you so the rest can see...

The difference between the Legend and the Vista:

• longer battery life in the legend, 18 hours compared to 12 hours.
  • memory is 4 times larger in the vista, 24MB instead of 8, which I wish I had so I wouldn't have to laod so much from the CD product topomap they have(I would recommend that purchase by the way...)
  • Vista has an electronic compass and a baraometric altimeter, where the legend is just based off of satelite readings (altitude would be a lot more accurate on the Vista)
Pros of the two:

• great size (actually bought a camelback cell phone holder and is perfect for it, attatch directly to your pack with the straps for it..)
  • supports Garmin Topo CD's. Great product to pull your routes and points off of, so yes they both support the "cookie crumb trail" format.
  • waterproof
  • stores 20 routes and 1000 locations
  • hunt fish calendars and also sunrise/sunset times
Cons of the two:
  • no color screen with 4 levels of gray. Ok for what I use it for, but some like the better display.
  • Serial interface, for the most part you need an old serial input to use it, mostly found on desktop computers. I bought a USB to serial adaptor for use on mine(like $10 on ebay), but you also have to factor that serial ports do not work with Windows Vista operating system.
  • No data card port for expansion
The 60CSx is gonna be a little spendier, have all the features of the Vista and
  • 256 color screen
  • high sensitivity receiver
  • Serial and USB compatible, so will work on any operating system of windows
  • stores 50 routes, 30 more than the etrex series
  • comes with microsSD card, so expandable memory for base layers
  • Will do turn by turn directions(not sure why you would want it for sleddin, maybe for getting to the trailhead...)
Everyone already has talked about the Rino530HCx, so i'll add that to the list(comparing to the 60CSx,(includes all features of the vista)).
  • 256 color screen again
  • lithium-ion pack, 14 hour life
  • USB interface
  • less waypoints with only 500(will be plenty...)
  • no built in memory, so will need micro SD card, not included(only drawback)
Radio Features
  • FRS and GMRS frequency bands
  • 22 channels and 38 squelch codes
  • 2 mile FRS and 14 mile GMRS
  • VOX(voice activation)
  • voice scrambler, vibration alert, weather radio, temperature recording
Prices for all(retail of course...):

Rino 530HCx - $535.70
GPSMAP 60CSx - $535.70
eTrex Vista - $321.41
eTrex Legend - $160.70

nebraskarmk said:
with the legend can you leave a trail of were you have been? and do know if there is much difference between the etrex legend or vista and the gpsmap 60csx?

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
Don't forget Garmin's two newest models -- the Colorado and the Oregon. The big plus of them is the 3D-shaded maps. If you don't already own Topo 2008, get the 400T model of either, as it includes Topo 2008. Otherwise, get the 300, and load it yourself. I'm gonna get one of them, I just don't know which one yet. Leaning towards the Colorado.

Rob

C

ckspeed

Dec 17, 2007
Malcolm, NE
Just gonna post the PM I sent you so the rest can see...

[/LIST]The 60CSx is gonna be a little spendier, have all the features of the Vista and
  • 256 color screen
  • high sensitivity receiver
  • Serial and USB compatible, so will work on any operating system of windows
  • stores 50 routes, 30 more than the etrex series
  • comes with microsSD card, so expandable memory for base layers
  • Will do turn by turn directions(not sure why you would want it for sleddin, maybe for getting to the trailhead...)

• Both models have 256 color displays, 50 routes, 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks, and high sense receivers.

Here's a link w/comparison of the Vista HCX and the 60CSX

I really like the size of the Vista HCX, it's perfect for any jacket pocket and I always worry about antenna of the 60CSX getting whacked. The Vista will be my next one. The Colorado is cool, but spendy, and the battery life has been reported as terrible :(

FYI, gpscity has some pretty good deals (unless you work for a dealer, wink :D)

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
thanks, sorry, clicked on the 60 series not the CSx.

I too am a huge fan of the legend/vista size and weight, perfect size for a receiver. The colorado has a lot of bells and whistles that really are not that needed, kind of one of those if you are always into the latest technology and best of the best, not basing of functionality or needs. Anytime you have something touchscreen, battery life will be very hit and miss, as I have had back and fourth luck with the Trimble GeoXM with battery life.

The best thing is to look for the one that will perform exactly what you want without all the bells and whistles(ok, well maybe a few...:) ) and then learn the product inside and out. Being out there trying to calculate distances and what not your first time should not be when you need to figure out how far you need to drag your granaded sled, lol. Practice ahead and try it out around town driving or something, pull the file, and make sure you have it setup the way you would like it outputed.

CKSpeed, pm comming your way soon..... :D

Premium Features