• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Racks and Tunnel bag options

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
After dooing this search every few years when I get a new sled I thought other people would have the same frustration of finding what was available in racks and bags so I decided to try to put it all in one place. Click the pic for larger image.

Racks:

VMI rack
VMI rack.jpg

VMI rack with Snobunji bag and Rev gas can
VMI rack, snobunje bag, Rev jerry can.jpg

Sled Solutions universal rack
Sled Solutions universal rack.jpg

Blair Powersports universal rack
Blair Powersports Universal rack.jpg

Holz gas rack
Holz XP gas rack.jpg

Sled Solutions tunnel strips
Sled Solutions tunnel strips.jpg

Craigger built, Fabcraft mounts and Skinz universal rack
SM2008-0185.jpg

Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
Personal preference

I am personaly going with the VMI rack with Snobunje bag and reusing my old Rev gas can like in this pic.

VMI rack, snobunje bag, Rev jerry can.jpg

I like the fact that it uses the entire length of the tunnel (they build them for 146, 154 & 163). It actually reinforces the tunnel when I put my 20ish lbs of gas and assorted goodies in my bag. It mounts with 6 bolts and when I move to my next sled the whole setup will go with me. The Snobunje bag is top loading, the rectangular shape makes it easy to pack especially with my Hotpot food containers and it has snap buckles that makes it easy for me to take inside at night and repack for the next day. The Rev gas can is cheap because I already own it and it will strap right onto the rack.

Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
They are the same as everyone elses universal rack. Look good, work good but they don't use the entire tunnel and you can't mount a gas can and a bag. Sometimes when doing a long trip I want the option go carry the gear and gas.

C

cog

Dec 7, 2007
Any suggestions on who makes the best handle bar bag, Thanks

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Last edited:
Handlebar bags

What about the BRP heated riser bag? Anyone have one? I think in the accessory catalog there is about a $40 price difference if you want gray/black opposed to yellow/black but, they appear to be the same size. I just ordered the Vortech rack and have the Snobunje bag to put on my 600 Etec 154. Doubt I will ever pack gas but, thought it would be nice to have the extra space for more gear for longer trips.

Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
Rev gas can dimensions

I'm not where I can measure my Rev gas can. Can someone measure theirs and tell me the dimension from front to back as it sits on the tunnel? I'm trying to see if it will fit on a 146 tunnel with a Snowbunje tunnel bag. The available area on the tunnel is 20" and the bag is 8" so there is roughly 12" remaining for the gas can.

M
I'm not where I can measure my Rev gas can. Can someone measure theirs and tell me the dimension from front to back as it sits on the tunnel? I'm trying to see if it will fit on a 146 tunnel with a Snowbunje tunnel bag. The available area on the tunnel is 20" and the bag is 8" so there is roughly 12" remaining for the gas can.

Good news.
I don't have my Rev gas can handy to measure for you, but I did measure the distance between the bars/rods on my VMI rack where the gas can sits and it's 12"s. Now thats the measurement that you need, and the can fits w/o alot of spare room in that distance.

Now the Bad news.
I have an 154 and measured what room I have with the rack mounted.
With the front of the rack within 1/2" of the back of the seat/gas tank the back of the rack is 1 3/4" from the taillight mounting. Now the distance between bars/rods for my Snobunje bag is 9"'s. With that said I don't believe that you will be able to mount both the Rev gas can and the Snobunje bag on the 146, since I believe that the rack for the 146 is 20"s compared to the 24"s for the 154. You may be able to drill new holes in the rack for the bars/rods to change your mounting points, on mine I used what they had and everything seemed to fit.
This may or may not help you with what you're doing.
If I can help you or answer any other questions you may have with your project please let me know.

Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
Good news.
I don't have my Rev gas can handy to measure for you, but I did measure the distance between the bars/rods on my VMI rack where the gas can sits and it's 12"s. Now thats the measurement that you need, and the can fits w/o alot of spare room in that distance.

Now the Bad news.
I have an 154 and measured what room I have with the rack mounted.
With the front of the rack within 1/2" of the back of the seat/gas tank the back of the rack is 1 3/4" from the taillight mounting. Now the distance between bars/rods for my Snobunje bag is 9"'s. With that said I don't believe that you will be able to mount both the Rev gas can and the Snobunje bag on the 146, since I believe that the rack for the 146 is 20"s compared to the 24"s for the 154. You may be able to drill new holes in the rack for the bars/rods to change your mounting points, on mine I used what they had and everything seemed to fit.
This may or may not help you with what you're doing.
If I can help you or answer any other questions you may have with your project please let me know.

Thanks for the reply MT b. That's what I was thinking but I never thought about drilling new holes, good idea. I just ordered my rack. How do you like yours. I like dealing with the guys at VMI, they seem to concerned about giving good customer service. I will probably have my rack in a few days although I won't be back to my cabin and sled for another few weeks to do the install. This last month or two is going to be very long.

M
Thanks for the reply MT b. That's what I was thinking but I never thought about drilling new holes, good idea. I just ordered my rack. How do you like yours. I like dealing with the guys at VMI, they seem to concerned about giving good customer service. I will probably have my rack in a few days although I won't be back to my cabin and sled for another few weeks to do the install. This last month or two is going to be very long.

They have a great rack which I like and you won't be dissapointed in it. One of my riding buddies seen mine and order one the next day for their XP! Couldn't agree with you more on their customer service!!

Premium Features