• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone interested in a complete 1300cc+ Cat triple bottom end kit?

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posted in performance also, but figured it couldn't hurt to put it here.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84347

My dad and I are thinking about building a couple of these bottom ends, if anyone is interested.

We take two 8/900 twin cases, either EFI or carb, whichever you would want, cut them in half and weld them into a triple. We have made all the jigs to get the spacing correct and straight. We then have the cases decked and line-bored to ensure correct dimensions. We would build a crank, and supply an ignition system. We have CDI boxes running the stock 900 twin timing curve, so you could either use that or add timing keys as desired.

If anyone is interested, we will look into how much we would need for this.

We could also provide varied pricing depending on the donor parts we receive.

The reason for using the EFI cases, is to have a larger mag end on the crank, to keep from shearing the flywheel key. Using EFI cases however would probably be a little more expensive, as we don't have as many of them lying around.

We could also provide a one-piece head that will accept speedwerx head inserts for extra cost.

Pictures of a complete motor:
Enginefront.jpg

sizecomparison.jpg

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We had the CDI box reprogrammed to run the stock King Cat timing curve for a triple. We machined off the #2 contact on the flywheel, and welded 2 more on 120 degrees apart, which allows us to leave the timing sensor in the stock location. It runs, but hasn't seen snow like this yet. We're trying to see if we can offset the costs of doing this for ourselves, by doing it for other people also, now that we are set up for it.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Looks good guys, I'm kinda partial to these engines myself!

its just basically a cat version of a polaris watercraft based tripple!

TONZ of power and torque with better than stock reliability and durabilty!!!!!!!!!!!

So the machined area for the mag side crank bearing on the EFI and carb cases are diffrent? I would think just the mag end on the crank itself would be just a larger dia and taper?

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The EFI case is different also yes, as well as the crank. The EFI version has a larger, removable, magneto cover, as the EFI's run a larger flywheel. Our next iteration of the ignition system is actually going to use EFI cases, with a ZRT 600 stator and flywheel plugged into our reprogrammed CDI. That way we can reduce the risk of shearing the flywheel key, and also not have to modify a flywheel.

Carb case:
b20e_1_sbl.jpg

EFI case:
d7bf_1_sbl.jpg

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I knew that they had diffrent fixed and bolted mag housings, I just didnt know that the crank taper and size of the bearings on the crank were diffrent?

On the WC poo motors brad wursten (1200psi) machines a new hub center and re-rivets it on to a polaris ultra or XCR flywheel to fit the basically 7/800 big block twin cranks (that we use modded into a 3cyl 120 deg setup) Its truely the only way to go if you have access to a machine shop capable to this.

take say a ZRT600 or 800 maybe, even a Tcat flywheel and if it fits, take the center hub section out of a 8/900 twin and see if theres any way to make one fit or just machine a new one to rerivet into a tripple 120 deg phazed flywheel.

Im glad to see someone else keeping these style of motors alive! The cat 8/900 IMO were the best twins ever made, adding a 3rd cyl and getting 250+++++++ HP all day long and having it be capable of probably 350+HP naturally asperated is awesome!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Yeah, the mag end of the crank is a different part number between the carb and EFI motors. The flywheel from any newer T-cat (or ZRT 800) does fit the carb crank taper, but it would need a new flywheel hub. The one from the 900 twin would probably fit, we haven't tried that.

It was mostly the watercraft motors that got us wanting to try this, but we've got lots of cat parts, and no polaris parts....

The next one we do will be an EFI case, and hopefully the ZRT 600 flywheel will fit that taper, as it is the same diameter as the 900 twin EFI flywheel. Then we might have to mess with the timing sensor location to get our CDI to work. The 900 twin CDI will plug into the ZRT 600 stator though, so that should work.

I've got a short video of it running in my garage:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
We used to machine our own ultra flywheel hubs, the first one we took off a little at a time to make sure we got the correct depth, made 3 diffrent cuts.

If you could find a 120deg phazed flywheel that would accept the correct taper of the 8/900 twins and just re-rivet the hub into the flywheel that would be the ticket!

J

JPM

Nov 30, 2007
Alberta
If you dont mind a battery an MSD total loss unit can be used almost infinate ajustability, they work very good. JPM

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
Horsepower

250+hp on pump fuel for 900 cyl's
mild porting / compression / race fuel = 300? 325?
Big bore cyls using M1000 pistons = 1500cc 300+hp on pump fuel
Big Bore with 1160 jugs=:eek:

Only 2 problems with this type of engine are:

Pulling the rope to start her up and Traction!:D

These are engines with limitless potential and very cost effective / reliable.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Get the recoil adapter kit to put the M1000 recoil on and it makes the starting point much easier :D

Hopefully the 162x2.5 will help with traction.

And I do mind a battery, it makes a heavy sled even heavier, and when your battery dies......:confused:

We'll be happy with whatever it puts out, as long as it will beat my brothers M1000. Which it better, as the 975 gives it a run for its money.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Get the recoil adapter kit to put the M1000 recoil on and it makes the starting point much easier :D

Hopefully the 162x2.5 will help with traction.

And I do mind a battery, it makes a heavy sled even heavier, and when your battery dies......:confused:

We'll be happy with whatever it puts out, as long as it will beat my brothers M1000. Which it better, as the 975 gives it a run for its money.

Yeah the MSD's are pretty much a drag race thing

beat your buddies M1K..... should be close:rolleyes:

it would be a slaughter!!!!!

heres my 1200 racing a few buddies on some built up 900mc's my prox 800 and apex, and an m7 with a 8bb and twins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5vWrtZf3g

not hard to pick out the 1200, just the drag racing stuff is at the first minute or two, the rest is my buddy thrashing his M8

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Update

We now have enough parts now to do at least two of these without needing donor parts, if anyone wants to go that route.

We may take a complete bottom end to Haydays if we get our second one done in time.

I do now have a video of it revving to ~7900 RPM, but my camera was too close and it overloaded the mic, so I will have to try again.

Premium Features