• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for Input on Gps

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Just wondering what some people on here use for their GPS on sleds. I've looked at some Garmins but would like a little feedback. Also does anyone use gpssledmaps.com or any similar sites. thanks for the feedback

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I'm mounting my Garmin GPS 12 to my sled (powering it from sled too) this summer. Older GPS, but it works well. Got it for cheap off craigslist a while ago, and it'll talk to my computer/radios.

No fancy topo maps, but it will leave electronic breadcrumbs i can squirt into gpsvisualizer.com.

Haven't heard of GPSSledMaps.com, but I may be utilizing that this coming winter :)

W

woodies

garmin 530.awesome unit with radio works good and very accurate!

W

woodies

like sled fiend says and hand held to boot so you keep it everywhere you go.super battery power lasts 2 or 3 days.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I use the garmin 60cs.
It works great. I use topo maps with it.
It doesn't have the radio feature, but I love the thing, it works great.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Garmin 60csx here.

Using Mapsource topo's and street nav programs.

Works very well. I haven't lost a signal in the thickest cover yet.

Used the Etrex Legend prior to the 60. Worked pretty good. Reciever is a bit weak. Was kind of spotting in heavy cover.

Thunder

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
I use the Garmin 76c. It's a bit expensive but it has lots of memory for storage. I put mapsource topos on it and the Trips and Waypoint software which comes with the unit. I like the color screen as it seems easier to see in sunlight.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
If you ride a lot off trail in a group, you can't beat the Rinos. The newer 530HCX aquires and holds a signal better than the older 530. You have to add topo software to 'em, but it's available. The peer to peer locating is the reason I got mine, key your mic and you show up on other rinos in the area. It has altitude, temp, and NOAA weather information as well.

The 530 I have doesn't like inside a vehicle very much, and compared to others, such as the 76C, has a much smaller screen. But if hand-held operation, long battery life, FRS and GMRS radio frequencies, and peer to peer locating are high on your list of priorities, you can't go wrong with a Rino...

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Magellan Crossover 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Road and Trail Navigator

I always thought it would be great to have a GPS I could take anywhere. Truck, sled, boat ect......
The Crossover looks like a step in the right direction. Anybody signed up for one of these?

Never really liked Magellan products. They work, but they're not as solid as Trimble or Garmin.

#1 choice would be a Trimble nav unit, those fkin rock, but since they don't do consumer stuff anymore (I believe they have a few USB receivers though) I'd go with Garmin. Real good customer service with them too.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
how do you load the topo in the rino, do you have to buy it or download it from somewhere. I know I'm totally a noob when it comes to this stuff

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Usually there's a slot for a memory card. Buy the card, stick in the slot and profit.

Premium Features