• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So I decide to visit a local ski shop.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
I was up on Baker and there were 3 dudes telemarking, I watched them skiing across a sidehill that I had left deep trenches in. I kinda had to chuckle a bit as they obviously had to take a little bit of extra caution and time to get across my deep trenches. I would also bet they hated to hear us, hated to see us, and hated to see our tracks and share the mountain with us.

If I had to guess, those skiers probably hated our very existance and wished we would rot in hell.

not that we did anything to them, we were just there.

I had a chat with a climber on Baker one day, he said he couldn't understand why we had to be up here we were too noisy and the exhaust fumes polluted a prestine area. First off we only have a small slice of the mountain to ride on and if he didn't like it he could go to any of the other peaks around (as I pointed all around) most of that is wilderness and we can't go there. Second I asked if he walked or drove to where he started hiking. Of course he stated he drove. I then said. so the amount you pollute with exhaust is ok but we pollute is too much. Sounds kind of selfish doesn't it? He wandered off agreeing to disagree I guess. PS, I guess none of us would be here if it wasn't for the logging roads cut in. Sorry if I went off subject a little, hikers and clik-claks are about the same.

Last edited:
H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Definition of "gay" = Subaru with a ski rack

Hey now, I've got an Outback wagon with a rack...also got a lifted 1 ton diesel to tow the sleds. As milehighassassin said, you can't lump them all together.

I'm going install a hitch on the Subie so I can tow an open two place next winter. That should get some funny looks:D

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Hey now, I've got an Outback wagon with a rack...also got a lifted 1 ton diesel to tow the sleds. As milehighassassin said, you can't lump them all together.

I'm going install a hitch on the Subie so I can tow an open two place next winter. That should get some funny looks:D

^^^^ Going to do the same thing. Have a outback and a lifted Jeep for hunting but use my car for work and have to pick up the fuel bill so buying a truck is out of the ? for me. Figured I can pull at least a single axle one place to shuttle my sled and four wheeler around on.

I like the point that was made to the hiker about him being selfish. Grew up riding dirt bikes in the mtns and first thing my old man drilled in to my head is that the mtns are for everyone. Keep your eyes open for horses, hikers and bikers, treat them with respect and hopefully you will get it back from them. You don't wanna be the azzhat that is the A55hole that gives all of your user group a bad name.

M
Dec 8, 2007
San Antonio, TX
^^^^ Going to do the same thing. Have a outback and a lifted Jeep for hunting but use my car for work and have to pick up the fuel bill so buying a truck is out of the ? for me. Figured I can pull at least a single axle one place to shuttle my sled and four wheeler around on.

I like the point that was made to the hiker about him being selfish. Grew up riding dirt bikes in the mtns and first thing my old man drilled in to my head is that the mtns are for everyone. Keep your eyes open for horses, hikers and bikers, treat them with respect and hopefully you will get it back from them. You don't wanna be the azzhat that is the A55hole that gives all of your user group a bad name.

Plan on using my Impreza RS for a 2 place, maybe 1 :D I've seen an outback pull 3 lol

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Going to stick with a two place ride on and do the one sled thing, everyone I ride with owns Duramaxs but I figure It will cut down on the hassele of borrowing a truck to haul the sled into the shop or from storage to the garage to do cleaning and what not it will be worth. I will for sure one weekend when I know IP is going to be busy , go to the parking lot at blue creek with it just so I can see the funny looks on pieps faces.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
So I read this thread and decided to ask these same questions over at a popular backcountry site. Here is the thread http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=912217#post912217

There answers are pretty interesting and it shows we are not to different at all.

Nice to hear what they think, I have always tried to avoid skiers and mushers, but when we can't we try to ride as politely and as far away from them as we can..with the clout they pull there is never a reason to be anything else..and you are on to something here x-lettuce..did you invite them to come and reveiw this thread? I think you should...It may improve both understanding and tolerance...

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Dude: "So I bring up that I am a snowmobiler and that he probably hates us." I'd probably be a little unhappy if you said that to me. You should have said "I'm buying stuff for snowmobiling", and let him go negative if chose to. Don't insinuate that he should hate you, cause he shouldn't. I always act surprised that they don't love us. :)

xtralettucetomatoe580, The responses to you thread over on epicski.com were pretty much what I've come to expect. Most real skiers don't hate us. Just the ones that are looking for a fight, more than skiing. I've seen pretty much every camp of skier at the meetings, skiers that could care less about sleds, skiers that really want a lift to the top of the hill, skiers that hate noise and smell, skiers that hate snowshoes, skiers that trail ski, skiers that access with sleds, skiers that hate dogs, skiers with dogs, skiers that ski were we can't even go, and skiers that hate sleds but aren't really sure why, and people that claim to ski and just want to close areas to sleds (ie: greenies). I've meet a few skiers that admitted they had to ski a new area, because they got the old area closed to sleds, and now they have no access. There's all types, and if your clever, you can set the camps against one another pretty easily. Just mention dogs, and go to lunch, they'll still be at it when you get back.

The maggot guy found a violent thread on this site (whooo), from a couple months ago. Did he have to search for that? He kinda missed the point of the thread, they weren't mad because they couldn't sled Wilderness. They were mad because the local ranger decided to close all the never ending Wilderness Study Areas (WSA), which is probably illegal. A WSA isn't a wilderness area, congress never voted on it (or should I say refused to vote on it?). And, those guys were just bantering, does he actually expect people to start shooting? (when was the last time you heard of someone shooting skiers?) I'd say those guys were just mad and felt a little helpless since it wasn't fair. Talk of shooting "those people" is pretty common out west. Between Californians and greenies telling people all the stuff they can't do, people are generally feed up with feel good forestry. You want to see shooting talk, go to a meeting where the forest service is telling people they can't hunt the way they want to, or collect firewood, then you'll hear shooting talk.

Basically, I sled were skier can't go. I slow down and wave to them. I don't want a loud pipe. And, I don't go looking for a fight. Too bad everyone doesn't just chill and go have a good time. What we need is a little tolerance, and respect for one another. And, each groups majority, putting the minority in it's place.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You lump "them" together.

They lump "us" together.

I can tell you from experience.. there are Ash holes in both groups... Skiers and sledders alike.

Some of the sledders I know go in looking for a fight. Some of the skiers do too.

If you are relaxing in your backyard, BBQ going, good music, some cool beers in the Ice Chest, and all of your friends enjoying a good summer night.... the guy 2 doors down decides to tune his lowered Turbo supra with a loud exhaust. It's pretty annoying...Does he have a right to ruin your quiet night... how bout when he's enjoying his BBQ in his backyard and you decide to fire up that new boodocker turbo with no muffler and an ice block tied to the back of the tunnel. Do either of you have the right to "ruin the peacefull evening"

How is that different from seeing a "flower sniffin hippie" on touring skis and blasting past him on the throttle just because he/she is one of "them" ? That my friends is how sledders get a bad wrap.

The people on thier cross country skis are out there to enjoy the quiet... you are there to have a blast on your sled.... find a way that you both can "get some".

I pack my board with me often while I'm on my sled... and I've seen excellent cooperation from both groups while out there... Life is good if you make it that way.

I've seen some extreme actions from skiers/boarders towards sledders on the trail, and I've seen the same fervor from the sledders towards skiers/boarders on the mountain and in the parking lots.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Dude: "So I bring up that I am a snowmobiler and that he probably hates us." I'd probably be a little unhappy if you said that to me. You should have said "I'm buying stuff for snowmobiling", and let him go negative if chose to. Don't insinuate that he should hate you, cause he shouldn't. I always act surprised that they don't love us. :)

xtralettucetomatoe580, The responses to you thread over on epicski.com were pretty much what I've come to expect. Most real skiers don't hate us. Just the ones that are looking for a fight, more than skiing. I've seen pretty much every camp of skier at the meetings, skiers that could care less about sleds, skiers that really want a lift to the top of the hill, skiers that hate noise and smell, skiers that hate snowshoes, skiers that trail ski, skiers that access with sleds, skiers that hate dogs, skiers with dogs, skiers that ski were we can't even go, and skiers that hate sleds but aren't really sure why, and people that claim to ski and just want to close areas to sleds (ie: greenies). I've meet a few skiers that admitted they had to ski a new area, because they got the old area closed to sleds, and now they have no access. There's all types, and if your clever, you can set the camps against one another pretty easily. Just mention dogs, and go to lunch, they'll still be at it when you get back.

The maggot guy found a violent thread on this site (whooo), from a couple months ago. Did he have to search for that? He kinda missed the point of the thread, they weren't mad because they couldn't sled Wilderness. They were mad because the local ranger decided to close all the never ending Wilderness Study Areas (WSA), which is probably illegal. A WSA isn't a wilderness area, congress never voted on it (or should I say refused to vote on it?). And, those guys were just bantering, does he actually expect people to start shooting? (when was the last time you heard of someone shooting skiers?) I'd say those guys were just mad and felt a little helpless since it wasn't fair. Talk of shooting "those people" is pretty common out west. Between Californians and greenies telling people all the stuff they can't do, people are generally feed up with feel good forestry. You want to see shooting talk, go to a meeting where the forest service is telling people they can't hunt the way they want to, or collect firewood, then you'll hear shooting talk.

Basically, I sled were skier can't go. I slow down and wave to them. I don't want a loud pipe. And, I don't go looking for a fight. Too bad everyone doesn't just chill and go have a good time. What we need is a little tolerance, and respect for one another. And, each groups majority, putting the minority in it's place.

As always Wade you have good insight.
I jumped on that forum to see what they had to say and for the most part I'm quite pleased to see they feel the same way as us but when someone linked that thread about Hylight I though oh great.
The people on here who start going at the mouth about shooting anyone are just doing that...shouting off at the mouth. I think if they new anyone but a snowmobiler would be on here they wouldn't be saying that...kickin some azz yes.
What the guys on the other forum need to know is in some places we (snowmobilers) will be on a snowmobile trail (that we pay to groom) and cross country skiers will be on it (most of us are respectful and go by as slow as possible) and still will throw ski poles at us or spit on us.
There's a place in MT where the cross country skiers got us kicked off our own snowmobile trail. I think if they truly knew what we go through we might get a little more sympathy and hopefully a little support because I think we all feel snowmobiling in the back country will not exist in 10 years the way things are going.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
In hindsight you are correct. I guess it was an acid test on my part. I didn't take in beyond what I mentioned because I don't want to create more or fuel hate and discontent between the two sports.
I always slow down and wave to other users when I'm out there.
common Curtousy is my defualt mode.:beer;

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Going to stick with a two place ride on and do the one sled thing, everyone I ride with owns Duramaxs but I figure It will cut down on the hassele of borrowing a truck to haul the sled into the shop or from storage to the garage to do cleaning and what not it will be worth. I will for sure one weekend when I know IP is going to be busy , go to the parking lot at blue creek with it just so I can see the funny looks on pieps faces.

so you have caught on to the jetta pulling a once place sled trailer eh? i get the craziest looks around SLC pulling my sled with the jetta.. hahaha

S
Jan 28, 2008
Denver, CO
I think some of the attitude given out by skiers is jelocy(sp). They would ride a sled to thier ski spots if they could afford it. They know we will always get to the powder first. Too bad for them hiking/skinning is so slow.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
so you have caught on to the jetta pulling a once place sled trailer eh? i get the craziest looks around SLC pulling my sled with the jetta.. hahaha

Not going to lie, thats what gave me the idea, saw the pic in fouled plug when you put it up and thought, WTH not?

Premium Features