• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ovs or boondockers for a pump gas turbo for a D8

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I am thinking of getting a pump gas turbo for a polaris 09 d8.
Which setup would you go with and why? ovs or boondocker.
I am only interested in the pump gas version.

thanks
tim

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
R U For Real?

WHAT??? Don't buy one of those! Just think of the lag and the fact they suck azz in the trees! LMAO!!!

PM me or call me if you need help deciding, or a good buddy deal on pricing.
BB

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
hahahaha^^^^

I was waiting for that.

I think they are both a good kit tim.

PM Scott, I know he just spent a whole day on Jared Sessions Turbo Dragon 800.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
WHAT??? Don't buy one of those! Just think of the lag and the fact they suck azz in the trees! LMAO!!!

PM me or call me if you need help deciding, or a good buddy deal on pricing.
BB

just what i was wondering, bull. the old wisetail was that they sucked in the trees. how good is the throttle response when you are in the tight spaces? I am pondering the idea, but i play in the trees way more than i climb the steep.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
it doesn't do any good to talk to scott, the sled he rode was not the pump gas turbo.

I have heard there is no lag, which is hard to believe, is there any one out there that owns one of these kits?

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
There is lag on ANY turbo anyone that says otherwise is just feeding you full of crap the new systems are much better and lag is getting way down there the pump gas kits are more user friendly on the BD systems because of the new air density system and simple box. There was a guy that did a report on his 700 kit in WY had 3 rides on it and it worked good clutching is key as well.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I do not consider my self a tuner in any way shape or form. Would a pump gas turbo kit need constant tuning?

I want about 40 hp without having to tinker.

also will these kits handle abuse from hard landings when i jump, alot.

tim

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
The response is more smooth and linear on the OVS with an aero. But they (OVS) have a Garret system as well. The turbo will most likely last longer (just the odds speaking) if you go with the Garret. There is more aftermarket little items to be aded to the sled and the more items, the more likely to dislodge, break, unhook, etc. etc. them with jumping. I.E. Broken welds, electrical connections, coolant and/or oil lines on Garret system. As far as tuning, it can be learned by anyone with adequate short term and long term memory. It is fairly simple. If you get one, I will help you out any way I can.
BB

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
What Tim your going big i can;t hardly beleive what i;m hearing. There was a pump gasser set up up here about three weeks ago not sure whos set up but KBOOOM after three runs is what i heard. Also Tim you will still have to tinker with it pump gas or not.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
What Tim your going big i can;t hardly beleive what i;m hearing. There was a pump gasser set up up here about three weeks ago not sure whos set up but KBOOOM after three runs is what i heard. Also Tim you will still have to tinker with it pump gas or not.

no turbo for me than. Nothing wrecks a good day better than having to wrench.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
In a pump gas, low boost, turbo.. the Aero gets my vote for throttle response and weight.

Simpler system, no tank or oil pump = less parts to break.

There will be some impressive "New players" in the turbo scene this season and the prices will come down... Don't buy too soon on this stuff, IMO... wait to see what pans out.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Tim do yourself a GIANT favor and road trip a few miles south of McCall this weekend (Saturday) and ride a Carls Cycles 860 for your 09 800 Polaris. They are having a demo weekend at Snow Bank Mountain looking over Cascade Res.

We just came back from Bend getting to ride and race against many many fast good running sleds. The low boost turbos weren't even in my vacinity. Over 10 different sleds of all varieties and systems all pushing way more then 10lbs. It took big boost, running good, and a long long well over 1500ft run to over take the twin piped 860 with a monster 163 non drag racing style setup or track. IE the sled was not even remotely setup to shine in this environment and it's performance was nothing less then OUTSTANDING. Try this and you will not buy a pump gas turbo for that sled no way no how.

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
Tim do yourself a GIANT favor and road trip a few miles south of McCall this weekend (Saturday) and ride a Carls Cycles 860 for your 09 800 Polaris. They are having a demo weekend at Snow Bank Mountain looking over Cascade Res.

We just came back from Bend getting to ride and race against many many fast good running sleds. The low boost turbos weren't even in my vacinity. Over 10 different sleds of all varieties and systems all pushing way more then 10lbs. It took big boost, running good, and a long long well over 1500ft run to over take the twin piped 860 with a monster 163 non drag racing style setup or track. IE the sled was not even remotely setup to shine in this environment and it's performance was nothing less then OUTSTANDING. Try this and you will not buy a pump gas turbo for that sled no way no how.

What elevation? :)

I had a kingcat 990 that was done to the nuts and clutched to a "T" that would take turbo's in the first 400-500' at 9800' with an attack 20" trimmed down

Not saying the 860 dont run, but alot of people ride higher elevations where the turbo WILL over come ports and pipes. my .02

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Yes heads up race results are all dependant on the participants and universal random boasts of what beats what is very limited in it's legitimacy. Not only that but you also have to qualify the comparison for what kind of riding or conditions you're going to be comparing them at.

This event was at 6300 feet ambiant air 38*, humidity 73%, air density calculated at 0.0629 ft/lbs

Brandy, by not coming to Bend you saved many brain cells and probably $4500. Generally the riding was quite lame but the event as a whole is fun fun fun...oh the pain! I rode so many super fast and fun sleds including a couple of neato prototypes coming for next year.

BUT..it's not to late for you to road trip it down to Cascade for Saturday. Oberti is coming way further than you would be! The good news is that the 840 for your sled is almost as fast. Bring your check book.

S
Apr 10, 2008
40hp

I do not consider my self a tuner in any way shape or form. Would a pump gas turbo kit need constant tuning?

I want about 40 hp without having to tinker.

also will these kits handle abuse from hard landings when i jump, alot.

tim

get nos if you want 40 hp

H
Jan 10, 2002
PF, Idaho
Tim, I rode with Norm (does porting for Struthers) in McCall. He had a 860 that was real comparibly to mine. His was based off the 600 but he didn't raise the hood all weekend. I think that might be my viable option for you than turbo.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
F-bomb what octane are you having to run in your setup???

1500ft is not that long 1/4 mile but I sure your 860 runs good our twin piped Dragon does very well but even if we had nitrous on it and everything it's not even in the running with the turbo sleds not even close infact the Dragon gets the whole shot but it's less than 200 ft and the boosted sleds are comming on it hard.

Premium Features