• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

$5,000 Dollar Fine For Riding Hyalite?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
So I ran into a couple of Forest Service Rangers on Sunday up Buck Creek. After they checked our stickers and asked us where we had been riding, we had a conversation about closed areas. One of our group asked them what the fine was for riding in a "Wilderness Study Area" and she replied "It is the officers discretion, but can be a 5000 dollar fine and up to 6 months in jail." Plus a confiscated snowmobile. I about crapped my pants! It's bad enough they took away a gem of a riding area, but 6 months in the clink? Come on. Needless to say I just joined SAWS and am planning on joining the MSA. Should have done it sooner. I would highly recommend that anyone who isn't a member yet and loves to snowmobile do the same. I have been tempted to ride up there this year but haven't. So has anyone out there been at the officers discretion this year? Hopefully they didn't get you as bad as they can. Pretty disturbing how much can get taken away from taxpayer with one swipe of a pen. I will be submitting my comments to all our Politicians tomorrow.

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
its sad that you can get more jail time for shooting a bear or commiting a major crime and get less jail time then this! what is this counrty coming to?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Hylite isn't Wilderness is it?
This BS is getting close to a revolution. There taking this WAY TO FAR.
I've only been living in MT for 1 year and I'm already fed up.

Not sure how much they'll have to take before ALL snowmobilers are fed up and actually DO something.

800Cat

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
This is just a bunch of BS and its really starting to piss me off! I've never riden at Hyalite before but i've always wanted to try it out. I've been up there in the summer time fishing and hiking and its a pretty sweet area just from what i've seen. Well they're at it why not just ban everyone from the wilderness areas thats what they want and all this is a just a steping stone for them to get that. just my .02cents

T
Nov 27, 2007
Hyalite had some of the best riding in the GNF. I have been riding there for over 20 yrs, back when the road in was dirt and you better hope you didn't meet a logging truck on the way down or you might become an expert in driving your truck backwards. The upper reaches were included in a wilderness area study back in the 1970's. The new travel plan has tried to make all these WSA's deFacto wilderness. I grew up here and enjoy motorized and non-motorized recreation year round. When I don't want to hear motors, I go to one of the MANY pre-existing wilderness areas available, and you know what I find 5 miles in?! NOBODY!!!!. All these losers who are clamoring for more wilderness aren't even using the areas they already have. Last summer I spent a week at Deer lake down the Gallatin canyon, very close to Pig Sty, and in that week I saw NO ONE. These greenies are the biggest hippocrites out there. If they can't get to it in their car it doesn't get used. Their car by the way, was made from ore and petroleum products that had to be mined from the earth. If we don't grow it, we mine it. IMO if you own a car, wear clothes or live in a house you are as big of a part of the problem as anybody else.

M
Feb 7, 2008
Bozeman,MT
that is BS, i rode up there a couple of times this year and there is more snow than i have ever seen. I also ran into FS one time up there, glad we had not unloaded yet because they told us it was a 500$ fine. I think we should plan a trip up there with a ton of people and trucks, what are they going to do then. Hylite is by far the best place to ride in Bozeman, and the closest. It is a shame that you cant ride there any more, unless you are sneeky!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I tried to get a big group ride together (protest ride more or less) but I didn't get a lot of responses and not much help from people you'd think would want to help.
The biggest problem with all this is WE are are own worst enemy. Certain people give us a bad name when they're out riding and certain people aren't going to help keep an area if it means anything besides riding.
I bet 1/2 of MT who rides aren't members of any clubs or SAWS, BRC or CFBU for that matter. I rarely see any of the "share plates" running around.

Sorry guys but I think you better get all the riding in the areas we have left.....soon, cause we're like a midget trying to fight a UFC fighter.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I am jealous

You rode up there? I am jealous. I definitely would not want to pay that fine. There are a couple threads in the land use forum that give you addresses and emails of our elected officials. I wrote them today and explained how I felt on this issue, and how I will be voting when it is time to do so. It may not help, but at least I will have the peace of mind of getting my two cents in. Look at the Beaverhead-Deerlodge plan, that will affect ten times the amount of land if the greenies get their way. All we can do is present a united front to decision makers and hope it turns out our way. I will tell you this, not doing anything doesn't help one bit. Even one email or letter can get the right persons attention. good luck to us all.

800Cat

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
Yeah it is tough to plan things that will benifit so many of us. I live in eastern montana and its tough for me to come that far for a protest but trust me i would if i had the time and money to do so. I'm part of a few clubs and i sport my "share plates" proudly. I know that its not much but atleast i'm doing a bit to maybe help out. I really thank you guys that live out there that can do things and i hope that you guys continue to do things that keep our riding areas open for us. When we ride we mainly ride around west yellowstone, and cooke. So to the guys that do all the hard work and fighting to keep these areas open i can't say thank you enough. THANKS!!!

S
Feb 3, 2008
Montana
Just got my new plates last week and wanted the new share plate but they were all out!! She said to check back next week, guess they have a hard time keeping them in stock!:confused: Joined SAWS also!

Last edited:
M
Oct 1, 2002
Montana
The de-facto wilderness dilemna

Unfortunately, Region 1 which covers all of Montana, has adopted some pretty extreme views of how to manage the Forests that are suppose to be for the public. More roadless and wilderness study area restrictions are coming. People really do need to become proactive and contact the Region 1 director Tom Tidwell about the off the charts directives that are giving "discretionary" management protocols to the various forest supervisors. Not that it will change decisions in place, but it may affect what is coming down the road.
Check out the SAWS website for more on this. http://snowmobile-alliance.org
Join your local snowmobile club and get your membership involved with the issues. Join SAWS for the value in receiving information about various land issues and to help get the word out about restricitions like that of what is happening at Hyalite. When you have a chance to make a constructive comment on a forest plan, a travel plan or other agency travel management practice-don't let the opportunity go by without having your opinion read or heard. We as individuals have to stand up for our rights to ride, to access public land and have a say in how public land is managed!

800Cat

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
when is it open season for greenies? Do you have to put in for special permits or what is the regulations on that, or could a person just buy a tag over the counter?

C
Nov 29, 2007
Butte MT
I grew up here and enjoy motorized and non-motorized recreation year round. When I don't want to hear motors, I go to one of the MANY pre-existing wilderness areas available, and you know what I find 5 miles in?! NOBODY!!!!. All these losers who are clamoring for more wilderness aren't even using the areas they already have.

Amen to that. I enjoy motorized recreation for most of my play time but occassionally I will head out for a hike or pack trip with the fam and we have plenty of wilderness and national park areas already existing to head into. The areas that need to be proteced are the always shrinking riding areas for motorized use.

Support your clubs, SAWS, Blue Ribbon coalition, etc. Well established groups like Sierra club, etc. are constantly fighting to close all of our favorite play spots and we need to unify and fight back!!

K
Nov 27, 2007
closed area

It is not up to the ranger what fine you pay in a closed area its up to the judge if it goes to court.basis fine is $150 for being in closed area and wilderness is $500. Most violations even things like not having or showing registration are $5000 and or 6 months jail time maximum.

B
Dec 8, 2004
Monticello, Mn
Hello Fellow SnoWesters,

Let me start off by saying that I am just as opposed to more land closures as any of you are, BUT!

Revolution is not brought about by chest pounding and talk, especially the type that gives the opposition fuel for their masses.
All this blow about shooting and reloading is CR@P. These posts are being referenced on the Greenie websites referencing us as rednecks and thugs.

Most of us spend more ching on a single sledding trip than most of the greenies do all year for their recreation. In reverse they put more money into lobbists and elections than we do, and I admit I am to blame as much as the next person.

I understand the frustration of trying to fight the spread of Green, but please think before you post.

just my 2 cents.

B-

Disagree with me if you like, it is your right in this still free country but be respectful.

Premium Features