• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 800 ho summit

P
Dec 25, 2007
i have a chance to buy a 2003 ski doo summit ho , 151 with electronic reverse , i went and looked at it last night , everything appears to be in good shape fired on second pull , has a mbrp can , one problem is the recoil for the pull start some times dosent like to pull the rope back in
any thing these sleds are netourious for?
anything else i should look at before buying?

K
Nov 27, 2007
Yes

Recoil will cost you 160-200
I have an 02 800 and I went through 3 recoils last winter. I put on the Rev XP pull starter and haven't had any trouble. If you buy the sled make sure you have a strap with you so you can pull start your sled from the primary clutch. You might eve practice this before you go out. If yours blows apart like mine did. Take the can off and then pull the 4 screws out remove all the broken pieces and put the cover back on. Then pull start from clutch. I wish the first time it happened to me I knew about pull starting from the clutch. Also how many miles does it have. I know some of the 800s like mine had ring trouble around 2000 miles depending on riding. I rebuilt mine before it went. Also look at the reeds. Or black thing between the carbs and motor. Mine had been destroyed by the cleaner the guy used on it before me. I did have to do some work to mine but pretty happy with it so far. Also I replaced the star head screws that hold the pull start on with hex head and used lock tight. This way you can get it a little tighter.

L

Llamarider

Nov 27, 2007
I bought a 2003 800 this winter and am happy with it so far. It doesn't go quite as good in the deep snow as the REV's with the 16" wide track, but it is a ball to ride in the powder. After hearing about the piston/ring trouble (Mine had about 2000 miles on it) I replaced the stock pistons with Wiesco pistons and have not had any trouble. The lightweight can is a good thing. I added Simmons skis, and a seat off of a Summit X which is a little taller and more firm. Good Luck!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I never had any ring problem on mine. The carb boots do fall apart for that year and this can cause a lean condition. Replace them as soon as they peel. 16 inch wide track is a huge upgrade, you will also find under the tuned pipe, the rubber rest(mount) will have cracked the frame. Not a big deal but you will have to design a ne mount out of angle iron and a new piece of rubber. (2 sleds like that)

Replace the pull start parts before they cost you more $$

P
Dec 25, 2007
Sled has 2500 km/s
been serviced every year
looks like a clean sled , dont really like the seat though its wide and kind of pushes my feet off the running boards ,and is it just me or is the hood really heavy?

F
Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, WY
Sled has 2500 km/s
been serviced every year
...and is it just me or is the hood really heavy?
Yes it is. Put on a BRTech with that hump where the light and windshield would otherwise be, mounted the tach on the bars, and have never regretted it. Except at dusk/night when trying to get back to the parking lot. :D

I dunno if the stock cages stuck into the transfer port on the '03 or not, but they did on the '01.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Yes it is. Put on a BRTech with that hump where the light and windshield would otherwise be, mounted the tach on the bars, and have never regretted it. Except at dusk/night when trying to get back to the parking lot. :D

I dunno if the stock cages stuck into the transfer port on the '03 or not, but they did on the '01.

Hey there stranger!

Sounds like you need a "Lead Dog" light.

Their not as bright as the stockers, but they doo plenty good to git you back in after dark w/o any issues, and they werk super for offtrail!

Y
Nov 27, 2007
Moorhead MN
03 highmark X 800 ho rer

I bought mine new and never had any issues yet.Added Boss highrise flattop, custom left handed throttle,custom rear suspension drop brackets,'06 pilot 6.9 skis, geared it down to 19/43, put 9 tooth extrovert drivers on it, and a rumblepack can, I ordered it with the opptional finger track,works awesome in heavy snow.

Last edited:
E

Elkwagn

Dec 18, 2007
Boulder Mt
03 Ho

I have an 03 800 HO 151 with reverse also, best thing done to mine was the Team clutch, works awesome. Bought mine from a good friend who Sno-checked it new and maintained it after every ride to the extent of tearing the clutches apart and everything else you could imagine. Problem is at 2300mi the piston came apart on the mag side and took out the whole SOB! Time for a new motor. Check compression for sure and look at all the other postings about the 800 failures!

Premium Features