• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS Question

C
Dec 15, 2007
Kelso Wa.
I would like to take a GPS with me, but what is the best way to carry it. In my coat pocket or a mount on my sled. And what brand of GPS has worked the best.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I would like to take a GPS with me, but what is the best way to carry it. In my coat pocket or a mount on my sled. And what brand of GPS has worked the best.

I tried mounting it on my sled, but I can't find a spot that doesn't shake so bad the GPS is unreadable.
I just carry it in my pocket. Been doing that for 3 years now. I also use an external antenna to improve reseption. I have the external antenna mounted on my shoulder.

As to what brand to use. That is like asking which sled is best;)
I use a Garmin 60CS with topo maps. Love it.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Handlebar mounts are the way to go. Whatever you do don't wear it around your neck on a lanyard. I took my handle bars into my chest coming of a drop on Friday with my GPS around my neck. Managed to have my GPS in just the right position to bust out the LCD. Doh!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Gps

Cujo,
I ride an RMK, I put the tallest Poo handlebar riser on it. When it came time to mount the GPS, I took an old cell phone holder, padded cordoura with a top that velcro's down, and mounted it to the riser.
It sits in front of the riser, and my radio is on the back mounted the same way. I can hear the radio, and reach either very easily. Also the bar strap provides protection in the event that things go to crap.
I still have to stop to use it, but I like it better than fishing in my pocket. It still tracks just fine with the top in place, and it has survived a couple easy rollovers and one really nasty one.
Holler if you want a pic. Bagger

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I have a Garmin E-Trex and I put mine in my winshield bag on my Dragon. I turn it on when I leave the trailer and usually forget to shut it off. It gets reception all day long and when I get home I download my tracks into my computer to see where I went. It is fairly easy to access there.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Austin, I'm out the door to pick D up at the airport, I'll post that this evening when I get home.
I thought you were riding with the Girls today? J

M
I use the RAM mount system work great. Has rubber on the ball mounts to adsorb vibration too. I been using this system for a few years and works good.

RAMmountsled015.jpg

RAMmountsled016.jpg

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Check out the link they have all kinds of options and for all types of devices.
I also have the suction cup that uses the same arm that I stick it to my truck windshield.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I also use an external antenna to improve reseption. I have the external antenna mounted on my shoulder.

As to what brand to use. That is like asking which sled is best;)
I use a Garmin 60CS with topo maps. Love it.

You could glue some pine needles on the antenna so those tree huggers like you more.

Tell'em you're growing little trees and riding out on your sled to plant them.

I agree the Garmin 60CSX is much better than others even the Rino series.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
GPS storage?

I used to carry mine in the front pocket of my pullover. Not anymore! It works fine in a pocket, but as a previous post said a hit to the chest is hard on LCD screens. I will tell you that Garmin's repair shop is awesome! The guy there fixed two Rhino's for under $100. Both had been hit to the front and broke the LCD's. Not to hijack the story, Three guys, one icy downhill, and three sleds in a ditch at the bottom. Trust me the rhino's were the cheapest to fix! Next time I'll wait till the first guy radios back, OKAY! A good 30-60 seconds wait wasn't good enough, that time! Enjoy...... 00's

M
I went to that link and want to know what mount did you buy for your sled.

I have this one: Cradle
and this the ball that clamps to the steering post:ubolt mount
this is the arm:arm

and then this is the suction cup I use in my truck:suction cup

I also have a 3" arm that I use in my truck. I have a friend that uses the longer arm on his Rev handle bar and kind of comes off the side to the center.

M
Actually looking back at my picture I have the 3 inch arm install there. I have since bought the shorter arm just to tuck it in a bit and protected it from roll overs. Also with the shorter arm gives more clearance for the hood to open.:D

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Got an old Garmin GPS12 right now. There's a spot on my backpack it fits in quite well, usually keep it there.

I'll likely get a mounting bracket for it and stick it somewhere on the sled... makes it easy to run external (sled) power to it as well so it doesn't chew through batteries.

I highly suggest Garmin. I bought mine from Craigslist ($20!), the bottom battery bumper was a little crooked, busted when I tried to fix it (Oops). 2 days later I got a new one, completely free of charge, from Garmin. Hard to beat service like that.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
If this doesn't work........

Apperantly an important step in making an attachment is to go to the kitchen and tip back the Old Overholt bottle, then drink half a beer while walking back to the computer. Wish I'd know before.

I had these laying around, they are a phone holder and radio holder that I don't use at work anymore. I put my Etrex in the front holder and radio in back. They are protected, the GPS tracks all day, and I can hear the radio usually.
Bagger

DCP_1953.JPG

DCP_1954.JPG

DCP_1956.JPG

Last edited:
H
Dec 5, 2006
Pendleton, Oregon
Mountainbigbull
I have seen the RAM mounts and they look very clean and sturdy. Have you ever had your gps "pop" out of the cradel? Like on a hard landing or something similar?

Bagger
Are those cell phone bags that you mounted to the riser?

Austin

Premium Features