• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull cord wont go back in??

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
so on my 04 900 mountain cat, i pulled it today after lunch and it started, but the cord did not go back in, just stayed limp. now i can start my sled. anyone help PLEASE?
thanks gys

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Same thing happened to me on my Cat, but the cord came all the way out and then broke in my hand. I ended up having to wrap a knotted rope around the primary and pull that to start the sled. You are going to have to take the recoil unit off the sled and replace the pull rope. It should be only 3 bolts and then it just comes off in your hand.

Don't go to your Arctic Cat store to replace it.... they give you some thick crappy rope. I went up to the Skidoo store and bought some thinner nylon rope and it works very well. The old rope wore out rubbing over the metal guide bar.

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
^^^ok so just take off the bolts around where the rope goes in? and the rope must be replaced, its not just some spring problem inside there?
thanks!

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
The spring is probably tired an lacking in the lube dept. I would replace the rope with stuff from a member here (I think it was 4Z-old forum) I bought high strength rope for my 04 900 cat from him and have had no problems since. You have do dismantle the recoil assembly to replace the rope and service the spring.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Take the recoil off and take a look at it, the spring mechanisms do fail from time to time, causing the spring to unwind. Also, replacing your pull cord every few years is cheap insurance that you won't have to open up your hood every time you want to start your sled on the next trip.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I read somewhere that people recommend boat motor pull-rope from a boating store or climbing rope. For those of us without a nearby sled dealer maybe these are good options.

Let us know what you find out.

I installed a rope guide tube from an 05 King which eliminates that stupid guide bar.

S

Smashcat900

Apr 21, 2006
Hermiston Oregon
www.myspace.com
I went to REI and bought rock climbing accessery rope 3 years ago for my 04 900 and I haven't had a problem since. Just make sure to get the right diameter rope. I think it was 10mm or 3/8. Something like that.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
5.5mm rope. Chances are the hook on the spring broke. Take it off and check it out, very simple. Pay attention on how the pawl and wire clip retainer goes in. Climing rope or 4zsnow for rope Ski-doo rope with the blue specs in it is pretty good too. When you reasemble put blue loctite on the retaining nut on the spool and be sure to get the ground wire hooked up on one of the cover bolts.

00buck

Nov 26, 2007
The spring is probably tired an lacking in the lube dept. I would replace the rope with stuff from a member here (I think it was 4Z-old forum) I bought high strength rope for my 04 900 cat from him and have had no problems since. You have do dismantle the recoil assembly to replace the rope and service the spring.

:beer;

S

Smashcat900

Apr 21, 2006
Hermiston Oregon
www.myspace.com
5.5mm rope. Chances are the hook on the spring broke. Take it off and check it out, very simple. Pay attention on how the pawl and wire clip retainer goes in. Climing rope or 4zsnow for rope Ski-doo rope with the blue specs in it is pretty good too. When you reasemble put blue loctite on the retaining nut on the spool and be sure to get the ground wire hooked up on one of the cover bolts.

I new it was "something" mm rope. Good call! Like I said, it's been 3 years. Stuff works great!

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
So after taking off the entire unit, i dis asembled it and it was all pretty shot. Went to my dealer to get the springs and other thing neccesary to rebuild it, and they cost dam close to an entire new piece to bolt on. i went with the new piece for about 20 bucks more and saved a few hours of rebuilding. This may be a new low in my laziness...

T
Nov 30, 2007
May sure to put a little locktite on the three bolts that hold the recoil to the bottom end. The tend to want to shake out.

B
Nov 27, 2007
I have an 03 800 that had bad wear problems, I was able to purchase a starter rope guide tube for a lack of the proper description for a King Cat, it bolted right in like it was meant to be there and I have had no further problems since.

I

IowaSnowCat

Dec 1, 2007
Northwest Iowa
I have an 04 1m 900 as well and I have had numerous problems with my pull cord. It seems to rub on that rod where its supposed to slide on but I think its just wearing the cord out. I've broke my cord 3 times now. GRRRRRR! Other than that, she's a keeper! Thanks for the input on the different kind of cords to buy - I think I might just look into those. It's not all that easy for a woman that's 135 pounds to pull over a 900 - electric start is sounding better and better every winter.

Premium Features