• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting Slidekicks Scratchers on 2008 M Rails?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
The new M skid doesn't have much material left that makes it conducive for drilling holes.

Anyone mounted a set of Slidekicks on a '08 M yet? The scratchers will be here in a few days and are a must for the virgin ride on Friday. Not too excited about drilling holes in the pretty black rails.

sledsidekicks.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Looks like I'm the guinea pig once again eh?

Thinking about removing the front outside wheels (damn the hyfax) and bolting the Slidekicks there. :confused:

R
Nov 29, 2007
I am in the same boat, dont know where to mount mine either... If you dont mind, post a pic when you are done. They dont seem to have any overheat issues, but it would be nice to have the scratchers in the spring....

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I would mount them right below the scissor arm mount. The Slide Kicks must be 2 1/2 inches above the hyfax and I don't theink the wheel hole will be high enough. The mounting hole for these things is 3/8".

No worries.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
ah dam... i drilled a hole in each side on mine to mount scratchers.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
To recap - A drill bit and my rails is not going to happen. Period.

Solution - Thinking outside the box phase is complete.

My Price to Slidekicks - Send me the new fangled carbide tips (with enough spares for 3000 miles) for both my sleds that have Slidekicks.

The Slidekicks SaberKitty Install Procedure for '08 M-Series

1. Place your favorite color (I used blue) of Loctite on the bolt threads that are sticking out of the middle idler wheels.

2. Tighten Slidekick onto threads.

3. Odds are the Slidekick won't be orientated properly - No problem; simply put a 9/16" wrench on the bolt head of the idler wheel and turn.

4. Done and I give it a one beer on the scale of difficulty.

When can I expect my carbide tips? :)

And if you don't like this method; I've got an almost as good Plan B but it requires the purchase of some hardware (Still no drilling!)

attachment.php

Last edited:

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
To recap - A drill bit and my rails is not going to happen. Period.

Solution - Thinking outside the box phase is complete.

My Price to Slidekicks - Send me the new fangled carbide tips (with enough spares for 3000 miles) for both my sleds that have Slidekicks.

The Slidekicks SaberKitty Install Procedure for '08 M-Series

1. Place your favorite color (I used blue) of Loctite on the bolt threads that are sticking out of the middle idler wheels.

2. Tighten Slidekick onto threads.

3. Odds are the Slidekick won't be orientated properly - No problem; simply put a 9/16" wrench on the bolt head of the idler wheel and turn.

4. Done and I give it a one beer on the scale of difficulty.

When can I expect my carbide tips? :)

And if you don't like this method; I've got an almost as good Plan B but it requires the purchase of some hardware (Still no drilling!)

attachment.php

The warranty is now voided for improper installation. ;)

Actually, that looks sweet. Keep the change.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Just say NO to DRILL BITS!

This concept would probably work on a ton of other sleds besides '08 Ms.

If the wheel bolts don't stick out far enough, use longer bolts.

The Slidekicks are getting something new and unique again tomorrow. Follow directions? What are those? :D

When will the carbide tips ship out for my real world analysis, testing, installation feedback and review? :)

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
drillin' the rails

So When Did Slidrails On A $9000 Sled Become Sacred?

And No You Won't Weaken Them By Drilling Holes, ...................well Not Until You Pickup The Pace And Run Down The Entir5e Cat Snowcross Team.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
They became sacred on the '08 because there is no material left to drill.

Older style rails? Sure, no problem - pick a spot a drill.

...and its my thing to do things different. Following the lemmings (directions) isn't my style. :)

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
seems like lots of meat left in the rails to me. scratchers are alittle further back but should do the job when needed. bought these from paragadgets on the old snowest forum. look real durable till i back up i suppose...

IMGP0658.jpg

Last edited:

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
If one mounts the Slidekicks 2.5" up from the top of the hyfax like the directions say, there's not many places to go where there's enough material. Only place is in the triangular truss of the front scissor. Drilling a 3/8" hole in a 3/4" wide web of that truss is not a good thing long term.

Last thing I want to post a year from now is a thread titled "My rails are cracked at the front scissor..." Aluminum has a finite fatigue life - It needs all the help it can get.

Was going to go the traditional spring style and actually purchased a new set of Holz but at the last minute went with the reverse proof Slidekicks. Bent the Holz versions into pretzels about four times last year with reverse. It's tough getting spring steel back into its original shape even with a torch.

Headed back out to the garage to work on the next round of customization to the scratchers....photos tomorrow night. :)

F
Feb 18, 2008
Installing Slidekicks

Your idea about installing the Slidekicks on the wheel bolts seemed like a good one so I tried it on both of my sleds. The only problem is both of the left side Slidekicks came off sometime during the day. The force put on them caused them to come loose and eventually turned counterclockwise until they came completely off. I used loctite and got them as tight as I could. How did you keep yours from coming loose?

Last edited:
Premium Features