• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive fluid

B
Nov 27, 2007
Anyone ever use any other gear oil in the diamond drive other than arctic cat fluid? Was wondering about a synthetic gear oil. I would think it would be the same.

gongshowm1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Quesnel BC
Diamond drive oil

Been running mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my diamond drive for the last 3 seasons with no issues at all. Easy to get and cheaper than the cat stuff. My $0.02

Gongshow

K

kllongbrake

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 29, 2009
Been running mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my diamond drive for the last 3 seasons with no issues at all. Easy to get and cheaper than the cat stuff. My $0.02

Gongshow

Going to run Castrol Transynd this year. How often do you change fluid?

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
Would this be the Shock Proof Superlight gear oil? I have used Redline oil in my Fiero tranny and it worked wonders!

Yup the super light is 75w90, but pours cold like its much thinner, has amazing film strength and clings like none other.
Ran the light 75w140 in my eclipse trannies, stopped shearing 4th past 500whp after that :)

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
If one is to switch fluid's from the stock fluid, is it important to flush out the old stuff completely? What is the best way, diesel fuel?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Would this be the Shock Proof Superlight gear oil? I have used Redline oil in my Fiero tranny and it worked wonders!

Fiero?? Worked wonders??
So did it turn the Fiero into a Vette or something? Just wondering...........:bounce:

Seriously, after having M sleds since 06, I've used DD oil once. Rest of the time has been something different. Quite a few changes with Amsoil gear oil, used some RP maunal trans oil a couple times, synthetic motor oil as well.
Bottom line, the requirement to use only Cat DD oil has been de-bunked some time ago. They're steel gears and they will be fine with pretty much any oil you would normally use to protect gears, with one exception has to be lighter weight oil due to the very small oil capacity. Cant have the whole 3oz (original DD's) stuck to everything in the case but the cogs. Has to be fluid enuff to keep some in the bottom of the case to continually wet the gears.

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
I found the left over Redline fluid from when I used it in my car. It is MTL (Manual Trans Lube). Would this be okay to substitute for the Superlight Gear oil?

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
I found the left over Redline fluid from when I used it in my car. It is MTL (Manual Trans Lube). Would this be okay to substitute for the Superlight Gear oil?

Mtl is pretty thin, 75w80, and it doesn't have nearly the gear protection. That being said it might hold up fine for a mild sled

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Do you guys flush it out each change or just put drain and add...my guess is flush......also what is the fluid capacity

C
Mar 20, 2011
How much dd oil would a 08 m8 take and im assuming a decent brand of gear oil in 75w90 from walmart would work ? Also never drained on a m series is there just a bolt to loosen off behind the skid plate just like doing a cars oil change kind of ?

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
Royal Purple Syncromesh is about as good as it gets.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Remove belt.
Remove secondary clutch.

Tip sled on right side.
Drill hole in bellypan toward the left side.
Remove plug.
Insert snug fitting hose into DD.
Route that hose out the bottom of bellypan thru the hole you just drilled.
Tip sled back down and let it drain into cool whip dish or other white dish so you can see any contaminants.

No mess.

To clean, tip sled back on side. Put cleaner in. Plug back in. Tip sled back and run it with track raised. Drain into dish again. Flush again if you really want to make sure it is as clean as can be without taking it apart.

Premium Features