• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1100 Turbo diet (the journey)

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
M1100 Turbo diet (the journey) ***updated***

First place to start, just like last time....battery....

Went with Evo2 12 cell lithium ferrous battery....it is a dry battery, needs no maintennce, and best part of it...2.5lbs. Stock m11 t battery is 13.3 lbs. for a savings of almost 11 lbs.!!!! It is spendy at $189... But is the cheapest weight savings you can get....

Here is link to video on battery I ordered....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QGNZwir4U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

New muffler will be well over 10 lbs savings with stock sound....and more if you are good with a slight increase in dB

Skinz hood, shaves over 10 lbs.

New seat is being built...don't know savings yet...

Airframe running boards add a little weight but worth it!!!

Am well over 30 lbs. weighed and measured off the sled....think I can get to 50 lbs. for cheap, and rest gets spendy...goal is 100 lbs. off it

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
WKM and I just finished a full carbon fiber ProClimb TM8. I know what it will take to get 100lbs off of that chassis. Without carbon fiber and a belt drive it will be quite a challenge. It sounds like it's not your first rodeo, I too came off a Yamaha. My goal is 100lbs off my 50th, and I just finished a full build on that chassis, good luck to ya.:face-icon-small-coo

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
WKM and I just finished a full carbon fiber ProClimb TM8. I know what it will take to get 100lbs off of that chassis. Without carbon fiber and a belt drive it will be quite a challenge. It sounds like it's not your first rodeo, I too came off a Yamaha. My goal is 100lbs off my 50th, and I just finished a full build on that chassis, good luck to ya.:face-icon-small-coo

Yeah, saw your note on belt drive, might have to chat with boys at cmx (they live near me in MT)

Love to hear more on your plans, hope you post install stuff and findings....

Racin' made a call for you...will shoot you a pm...

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Update...

Weight savings....

Battery -12 lbs.
Skinz Hood -20 lbs.
Skinz Exhaust/stinger -14 lbs.
Skinz seat -5lbs.

Total now is -51lbs. Weighed parts off and parts placed back on, have also taken weight out of crate, and will weigh once all back together...(and yes, will post all pics)

Turning focus on the intercooler as it is cast top and bottom, should be able to shave some weight there...also looking at a few other option before getting radical...

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
-20lbs for the skinz hood. that is pretty good. got any pics of it? does it keep the stock headlights?

pretty good weightloss their and all decent bang for the buck.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Update...

Weight savings....

Battery -12 lbs.
Skinz Hood -20 lbs.
Skinz Exhaust/stinger -14 lbs.
Skinz seat -5lbs.

Total now is -51lbs. Weighed parts off and parts placed back on, have also taken weight out of crate, and will weigh once all back together...(and yes, will post all pics)

Turning focus on the intercooler as it is cast top and bottom, should be able to shave some weight there...also looking at a few other option before getting radical...
How did you drop 20 lbs off the hood. The hood on the 800 weighs 20 lbs. I don't think the turbo hood weighs more does it?

R

rcaustin

Sep 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
How did you drop 20 lbs off the hood. The hood on the 800 weighs 20 lbs. I don't think the turbo hood weighs more does it?

I would guess that the Turbo hood even weighs less as it doesn't have the intake plenum all the way to the nose? intake - turbo - intercooler - motor. Also the weight in the nose of the M8 is part of the hood where on the turbo I would imagine that it wouldn't be attached to the hood... i agree not going to see a 20# loss on any hood for these cats. headlight delete kit is where most of the weight drop would be im guessing - not a great way to drop weight imo.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007

Will be posting pics as I said...this is not my first rodeo with a 4stroke and shaving weight, and I don't gain anything by telling tales of mysterious weight loss...Goal is the same as it was on my nytro , shave 100lbs. And I got there with my nytro, and am just sharing the facts on this...

As to the hood, keep in mind, similar to the previous Skinz hood for M sleds, they deleted all the plumbing, not just the stuff attached to the hood...having not seen it, and having only talked with the Skinz folk, I cannot tell you all the details, as I don't know them... Like a lot of others, I have not physically touched my sled....paid for it though :)

All i am doing is sharing the details as I did on my nytro, and my rev before that....

@ CO- the seat is attached to my sled....which is sitting in Minnesota, at the Skinz shop...they will be doing a low profile seat, that works perfectly with the ballistic battery, as they are making a battery relocate kit, since the battery is so light, it is not as critical to take the weight off the front (nice trick cat did, but why not just do a better battery as in lighter)

Last edited:

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I would be willing to bet money that cat will do a relocate kit on their own in 13 or 14. partly because of the sour grapes that people have with no storage and partly because of easy weight loss. I suspect a revamped seat for all the proclimbs. and by 14 the stock rtr on these sleds will prob come in around 630.

Premium Features