• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Diamond Drive Removal

K
Oct 25, 2011
Helena, MT
I have a 2011 M8 HCR. I am trying to remove my Diamond Drive so that I can do a full flush and maintenance on it. I have removed my belt, secondary clutch and have removed 8 nuts from around the DD but it doesn't want to budge. I don't want to break anything so I decided to post on here. Am I missing something?

Tempest

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
Go to the brake side. Where the rotor and caliper are. The hole in the center, stick a 5/8 socket on an 12+ inch extension and feed it into the drive axle and you will find a bolt inside that attaches the drive axle to the gears inside the gear case. Break the bolt loose and remove and the case should come off from there.

Reactions: kimbermountain
A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I'm quite certain you also need to loosen the track way up to take the pressure off the driveshaft - I did.

I'm pretty sure the 2011s also have the single row bearing in the DD that should be replaced with the double row bearing #5203. Better check it out while your in there. That bearing was shot in my 09 with 1,000 miles on it - replaced it this weekend with the 5203.

Good luck.

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
I'm quite certain you also need to loosen the track way up to take the pressure off the driveshaft - I did.

I'm pretty sure the 2011s also have the single row bearing in the DD that should be replaced with the double row bearing #5203. Better check it out while your in there. That bearing was shot in my 09 with 1,000 miles on it - replaced it this weekend with the 5203.

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up, up pulling my DD of on a 09 M8T today...which bearing are you referring to? I have never seen the DD completely removed. I have seen lots of threads about bearing failures. I wonder if local cat shop would have the new bearing in stock... Do you need the bearing pressed in or out?

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
bearing part #

Good luck.

one other question...some guys are claiming you need to machine a little off the shoulder to get the 5203 to fit and are recomending the 4203
instead beacause it is just a touch narrower. ever heard of this?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I'd also like an official ruling on the machining (from Cat) but don't think they are going to give one. BDX is saying take DD out, install 5203 and put DD back in w/o machining but some guys are saying you need to machine the drive shaft. I think some guys have machined the gear instead of the drive shaft, but I've heard most that are doing the machine work are taking it off the shaft.

The 4203 is not an angular contact bearing. The fit is perfect and it is a stronger bearing, but if there is side load (which people say there is) the 4203 will not last.

The 4203 is also harder to source. I think it is a $42 bearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bm77164

waycooljr

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2010
Sidney, MT
I had a 10'HCR last year. Pulled the DD off to put the 5203 bearing on, and it fit just fine. Still had some play in the gearset in the case and the 2 case halves fit together without any resistance. I now have an 11'HCR!! Wanted to update bearing to 5203 style, so I removed old 6203 bearing and spacer, pressed 5203 bearing on and the two case halves would not fit together correctly. I ended up maching the shaft down .050 where the bearing race rests so I could press the bearing further on the shaft. This enabled the two case halves to fit properly. Installed everything back to normal and all is good!! hope this helps!! And your answer to "Cat" suggesting the 5203 bearing for replacement or having information on the machining process is, well, NO!! They have no info for this process!!:face-icon-small-hap

Reactions: bm77164

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I had a 10'HCR last year. Pulled the DD off to put the 5203 bearing on, and it fit just fine. Still had some play in the gearset in the case and the 2 case halves fit together without any resistance. I now have an 11'HCR!! Wanted to update bearing to 5203 style, so I removed old 6203 bearing and spacer, pressed 5203 bearing on and the two case halves would not fit together correctly. I ended up maching the shaft down .050 where the bearing race rests so I could press the bearing further on the shaft. This enabled the two case halves to fit properly. Installed everything back to normal and all is good!! hope this helps!! And your answer to "Cat" suggesting the 5203 bearing for replacement or having information on the machining process is, well, NO!! They have no info for this process!!:face-icon-small-hap

Is anyone doing the machining at home somehow or just bringing it to a shop? And if bringing it to a shop, anyone recommend one in Calgary?

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I basically followed the instructions in post #13 here:
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207098&highlight=6203

I bought a 5203 sealed bearing, gently removed the plastic seals, cleaned out the cheapo factory grease (per other suggestions), and packed it about 50% full with lithium grease, reinstalled the seals, and installed the new bearing.

I bought a 3 prong bearing/gear puller to remove the old single row bearing. I pressed on the new bearing with a bench vise. Lot's of threads with pics and info on this procedure - hope this helps. Good luck.

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
I'd also like an official ruling on the machining (from Cat) but don't think they are going to give one. BDX is saying take DD out, install 5203 and put DD back in w/o machining but some guys are saying you need to machine the drive shaft. I think some guys have machined the gear instead of the drive shaft, but I've heard most that are doing the machine work are taking it off the shaft.

The 4203 is not an angular contact bearing. The fit is perfect and it is a stronger bearing, but if there is side load (which people say there is) the 4203 will not last.

The 4203 is also harder to source. I think it is a $42 bearing.

I heard the 5203 will fit with out have to machine anything on the 09, do you know if that's correct?

Premium Features