• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is anyone developing a kit to convert from Diamond Drive to Chaincase yet?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I keep looking at the new chain case drive setup on the 2012 Cats and I keep thinking it would sure be nice to have a setup like that on our M sleds.

Is anyone developing a retrofit kit to convert existing sleds to the lighter and less problematic chain case setup?

It would probably be cost prohibitive to swap a sled over but, I'm sure it could be done. What kind of weight savings would this conversion yield?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My 09 M8 has been my first experience with diamond drives and I guess I am just much more familiar with chain cases, since every sled I have ever had previous to my M8 had one.

My diamond drive has been fine so far but, I must say that after reading about and watching friends deal with the failure of the early diamond drives (and people swapping to BDX lite drives), having to change out the bearing on my brand new diamond drive and worrying about if the oil in my diamond drive is clean enough and having to ensure the oil is changed every so many miles makes me much more nervous than I every was with a chain case.

That reminds me, I need to change the oil in two diamond drives before the snow flies. On the other sleds with chain cases, I will merely be checking the oil level.

Didn't mean to rile anyone up, I just thought I would ask if there was a conversion kit coming.

Last edited:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Would be nice to change. With the 2012 Cats you could put the CMX belt drive on. There is even weight loss.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
frosty... you're worrying about something you heard about on the internet?

You should check some internet health forums... you're probably going to die soon anyhow, it's right there online, odds are... yer skrood.

You need to change chaincase oil just like you need to change DD case fluid.

Not riled up, but like what was mentioned before, I've got more BIG hp miles on DD's than chains, and have been stranded by chains way more.

You're basing your concern on... well, your concern...

nobody is going to ever produce a chain for the DD in a mtn sled, especially now that it's no longer in production.

Want a chain... buy a 2012, and wait for it to break, cause it WILL eventually.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Ditto!

I used to have tons of broken or breaking chains from years of mods. Since 05 the only damage I have done to a diamond drive is a cracked case on my turbo.

A few of my buddies run belt drives on their mod poos. They have had their share of problems with keys and bolts and brakes, but never a broken belt that I know of.

I'm pretty sure that the chain will get more power to the ground, but I sure like the reliability I've experienced.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I really do not miss the blowing chains. Happened every year with previous sleds... And this new Cat may blow the ****ty expensive hipo-chaincase and the oiltank at the same time. What a mess there will be?

I've been running my current sled since -06 with zero DD issues during 10 000+ km. Only thing I've done is changed the oil every year. Oh, sorry - ALMOST every year :D I think DD is the best innovation for average rider like me. Really love it :)

M
Feb 25, 2008
Creston B.C.
I blow 2 chain cases on my turbo yamaha, now not a problem with the dd on mt m8. It was the baddest sled in the group and it was pulled out 5 times last season i had it, not a problem with the dd or the cat 9000km still the original dd.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's good to hear. I'm glad you are such happy guys. :heart:

I guess I never knew there was so much sensitivity surrounding discussions related to the diamond drive. :cheer2:

My diamond drive has worked just fine and was a novel idea. Call me crazy but, I can still see the benefits of the lighter, simpler, more efficient and in my experience (based on my riding partners DD issues) more reliable chain case design. It appears all the snowmobile manufactures do as well.

Consider the topic dropped. :tape2:

:closed_2:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
My DD imploded on my Cutler 1000 Dragoncat

had to pull it over a mtn by hand 5 guys took 3.5 hours My friends hated me because of it, once I got it fixed it was hard getting people to ride with for a while

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
they all have problems,Iv seen chains blow, DD blow, T-cat with cmx drive blow the belts, hook your pickup to a brick wall mash the throtal dump the clutch on pavment all day long and see if you blow a rearend or twist a driveline ?? good maintance is key in both drives, just my 2 cents

Air_time24

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2009
Nelson BC
www.facebook.com
How about this guy. .

IMG_0456.jpg

So long as you keep that diamond drive happy with fresh oil and free rolling bearings it will keep a smile on your face from my past experiences. I sure do like the look of the open belt drive . . Can see whats going on and it sure looks light. . any more information on these?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
had to pull it over a mtn by hand 5 guys took 3.5 hours My friends hated me because of it, once I got it fixed it was hard getting people to ride with for a while

hmmm...you sure they were and are friends..??...you know i have been sledding a long long time...and the part of sledding i remember and enjoy most and still giggle about today is the stucks and the overcoming the breakdowns in the backcountry with the fellas i rode with and being a team...its not the highmarks i remember..its the adventure and adversity and us "friends" never letting each other down and it defined the true spirit of snowmobiling..

nowadays i am in a location where all my sledding is alone so i have to be my best friend...lol..

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
5 sleds with chain cases and 5 sleds with DD since 1999,

broke one chain in 2004 and it destroyed everything, sled would not roll so we hauled in parts and fixed it there

gear broke on DD in 2008 but I rode it back to trailer, guess I got lucky

Premium Features