• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 M1000 Diamond Drive

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I just opened up my 2008 m1000 diamond drive to check it over and found metal chunks everywhere, took out the planetary and one of the gears. It looks like it would be close to $400 in parts to fix it. So I think it would be better to upgrade to either a 2009 or newer diamond drive or a BDX lite drive.

My questions are can I use my drive shaft with a 2009 or newer diamond drive? What year diamond drives seem to be the best? Anybody got one for sale for a good deal?

I know I can get electronic reverse, do I need a new helix with the reverse notch?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You can set your 2008 up with electronic reverse relatively easy. Of the choices you listed, I would recommend the BDX light drive. If you use the BDX or the 2009 or newer drive you will need a different drive shaft. If you rebuild you drive it will be about half the price, but the BDX is lighter as is the 2009. You also get rid of the reverse and the shift arm and forks.

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think I am leaning towards a BDX lite, but wished the price was a little cheaper. Hey racionstation, do you sell bdx diamond drive?
Are you sure I would need a new drive shaft for a 2009 Arctic cat diamond drive. I was doing some looking online at parts and noticed both the 2008 and 2009 have the same part numbers.

A

AK800

Aug 31, 2009
Eagle River, AK
Just finished an 08 M1 Diamond Drive conversion myself (also had chunks of steel in the bottom of the case and planetaries damaged beyond repair). Here was my fix for $400:

- Looked on eBay for an 09 M8 or newer DD since i wanted to re-gear the M1000 anyways. I also have an 09 M8 with the wide bearing upgrade and with regular yearly inspection and maint (opening the case to inspect and change oil) it looks the same as the day it rolled out of Thief River Falls. To me there is nothing wrong with this set-up....so I'll continue to use it.

-Found a used 2010 M8 LE DD with 250 miles on it through Country Cat in Minnesota for $300....shipped to AK for $45.

-Also, since you will need to have the notched helix for the electronic reverse conversion to work in the secondary, also threw in a 40/44 SLP helix from a 2010 M1000.

-The Drive will fit with no modifications necessary to the trackshaft or housing. Also, the belt alignment was spot on according to my Cat alignment tool.

Threw all of this together in my M1000, along with the electronic engine reverse conversion, you have a much more reliable drive set-up, dropped weight, along with an M1 that will run like a raped ape. Hope this helps!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I think i know of a 09 m8 dd with less than 500 miles thats is for sale if your interested pm me.

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think I want to stay with stock 60/60 gearing because I also ride at low elevation.

The Outlaw and Haydays swap meets are in the next couple weeks, so I will be looking for a 2009 or 2010 m1000 Diamond drive. If I cant find one then I'll try freeagent of get a new BDX lite.

Thanks for the info.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
an 09' drive with the double row bearing is ideal and will bolt right in and work with your trackshaft. seems the 09' drives were the easiest to just pull the spacer on the transfer gear and press on the double row bearings with out the alignment issues. the lite drive is not that much lighter than the 09'+ drives and the track shaft swap is $pendy and then you can't swap back to a AC drive if you need to for a spare.

Premium Features