• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which triple is better storm 800 or ultra 680 for mod?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I'm thinking about doing a mod sled and I reallly love the triples so which one do you guys think is better the 680 or storm 800? And what chassis would work best? I was thinking of the 800 in a edge chassis? I've seen some stuff online where they've pushed those 800's with some serious hp and the sound is like no twin I've ever heard.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Ive got a storm motor in a wedge chassis and I love it, and my buddy has a ultra motor in his wedge and he loves it. Both motors are pretty good, just depends on what you can get your hands on.

Either of those motors in an edge chassis would be awesome. good luck

CK

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Note that the first year ultra motor has some parts that have been discontinued... specifically the water pump pieces I believe.

sled_guy

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Note that the first year ultra motor has some parts that have been discontinued... specifically the water pump pieces I believe.

sled_guy

So what years of ultra motors are best for performance and parts availability? Same with the storm are there better years then others and how are parts for those?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
So what years of ultra motors are best for performance and parts availability? Same with the storm are there better years then others and how are parts for those?

97 and 98 on up Ultra's all the parts are still available. 96 was the lone duck that had the odd water pump parts and such. So basically any Ultra after 96 is a good bet. Not that the 96 was a bad sled.

As for the storm many dont like the 93 750's. As they have a few, mostly tuning, gremlins to get over to make them a runner, The 800 storms were all pretty strong sleds regardless of the year. I think the 94-95 wedge storms were the most sought after because of how heavy the aggressive chassis is.

One thing about it the storm bottom end is about as solid of a piece as you can get. Price Performance put 1200 PLUS cc cylinders on a stock storm bottom end with next to no issues. To say the case and crank on the storm of beefy is an understatement. Its a very well built unit.

Only cons of the storm would be the fact that there's not near the aftermarket support as there is for the ultra. Ultra parts are everywhere and still pretty plentiful. The storm on the other hand especially the wedge parts are a little harder to find.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
find a watercraft triple and build hp

The cost of getting one going is pretty prohibitive, you can buy 2 XCR 800's complete or about 4 ultras or storms for that price as complete sleds. IMO Costs too much to build one and seems to cost a lot to maintain. They also don't seem to be as reliable as some people on here claim them to be. I really wanted one, but im glad the cost changed my mind.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
The cost of getting one going is pretty prohibitive, you can buy 2 XCR 800's complete or about 4 ultras or storms for that price as complete sleds. IMO Costs too much to build one and seems to cost a lot to maintain. They also don't seem to be as reliable as some people on here claim them to be. I really wanted one, but im glad the cost changed my mind.

So in your opinion what is the best polaris triple to start with? I think I've gone away from the idea of a ultra and storm and now looking more at the XCR 800 motors.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
So in your opinion what is the best polaris triple to start with? I think I've gone away from the idea of a ultra and storm and now looking more at the XCR 800 motors.

for my money the XCR 800, with some minor mods and a few dollars you can be at 180 HP pretty easy, and there are lots of parts out there for them. Plus there are simple kits that you can use stock pipes to get them in the edge chassis, you cant beat that.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
680 or storm

Storm motor has a belt driven water pump. The Water craft uses a similar system. That seems to be most reliable. The XCR shares the same style as the 680. The mechanical seal in that motor has been discontinued I believe. The 96 680 water pump was sealed from the crank and used it's own oil source where the following years and XCR get their lub from the crank. As mentioned above, seems to be more stuff around for the 680. The 95 and up storm used nicasil cylinders and the porting was different resulting in a wider power band. SLP pipes didn'r add much HP but were tons lighter than stock. Mine had good power but chassis was heavy. XCR motor has exhaust valves where storm and 680 do not. XCR seems to be the tripple of choice now. Flat landers love them. There is a section devoted to them over on Hard Core.

U

UBRultra

Jan 24, 2008
680 fan....

I had my Ultra punched up to a 760 by Union Bay. V-force reeds and crank shops pipes with over-bored carbs had it dynoing at 178.5 HP on pump premium. Loved that machine - but don't miss the wrenching one bit... As the old saying goes, if the hood's up, it's a moddy...

Good luck!

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I have an 850 ultra an I love it. been one of the best mod engines i have ever been around. My father has an 800 storm with all the trimmings, also a very good runner. reliable, doesn't drink fuel, starts and runs all day long. However, my ultra is considerably faster and a bit more snappy. I believe both engines are solid foundations, however it would be nice to have exhaust valves. if I could have the engine I have now with exhaust valves, I would be in heaven. LOL!

Premium Features