• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

White Spacer on DD melted???

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
I have a 2010 M8 with around 700 miles on it. Giving it the once over before the season starts I notice that the white spacer between the black boot on the diamnond driive and the drive shaft had melted on the side where it contacts the black boot. Obviously, at some point either the black boot or the white spacer was turning slower than the other, causing friction and the resulting melting. I looked at a 2009 M8 and it had the same thing, but a 2008 M8 showed no melting.

My question is, is this normal? What causes it, and should I replace the white spacer?

Thanks

I believe that assembly is there to keep grass and stuff from getting wrapped around the axle and taking out the lip seal on the gearbox. On some sleds the black rubber "seal" fits too tight against the gearbox. If your seal isn't already worn down substantially, making it actually fit better, you may have to trim it down. I always pack mine with grease because I dont like the noise it makes as it rubs on the gearbox. On my 2010 M8 it was rubbing hard enough to groove into the box quite substantially, not so on my 2008's.

I need to make some comparisons between my '08 and '10 sleds, but has anyone else had this trouble on the older models?

If I was in your shoes I would replace the rubber and the teflon washer, pack the rubber with grease and re-install, then keep a close eye on it for a while.

Premium Features

Back