• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

diamond drive gear ratios???

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
is there a ratio conversion for the gear ratios for final drive?

i am used to the chain, gear, driver method with final drive ratios like 1.73, 1.80, 1.95, 2.01, ect....

might try to gear ours up alittle for trail riding seems to be geared low for high elevation deep powder riding (what it was designed for). most of our riding is alittle higher speed on and offtrail bush road riding. dont want a drastic change as i like how they perform in most conditions, just a change to lower cruising rpms for fuel economy ect... any recomendations?

first time gearing the DD's how hard is it? i have the service manual. ski

mightymoko

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Denver Colorado
Diamond Drive Gear Ratio Formula

This formula is to figure overall Diamond Drive ratio only, this does not take into consideration such variable as clutch diameter or driver size.

The formula is as follows;

Transfer Gear / Input = A then A x 2.24 (Planetary Ratio)= Overall Diamond Drive Ratio

Example:

68/52 Gears. The 68 is the input gear (always listed first, clutch goes on this gear). The 52 is the transfer gear so….

52 / 68 = 0.764 x 2.24 = 1.71 Overall Diamond Drive Ratio

gearing

Depending on what chasis you have the M-series your stock ratio is 57/63. Crossfire is 60/60. depending on which one I wouldn't go more than two to three steps either way in gearing. so if you have the 57/63 gearing I would try the 60/60 gearing it makes a good impact in what your looking at doing.

gears

personal preference really, going 60/60 theoretically will give you more top end speed but sacrifice low end power or even bogging could occur in deep powder. But considering you have a long track with 2" paddles im not sure what to say it will help with top speed and keeping the rpm's down if you stay on the trails.

Premium Features