• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important info. on Portal/Hyalite

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I copied and pasted this info. from a CBU update...

The 2700 acre area in Portal Creek that will be left open for snowmobile use is heavy timber and provides no opportunity for off trail riding. If you or your family used portions of the Hyalite Porcupine Bullalo Horn Wilderness Study area for snowmobiling prior to 1977, call the Gallatin Supervisor's office to inform them of this fact. If you have documentation of pre 1977 use of this area, please provide this information to the FS and CBU would appreciate a copy.

T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Protest ride would be fun. I think we need to meet at the Forest Service building here in Bozeman before we head out. We need to fill there parking lot with trucks and trailers full of sleds and have everyone inside asking where we can go up hyalite.

Remember we need to protect this land for future generations. My Question is what the hell will the future generations be able to do on it.... Not much just like the present generation.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Has anyone seen a map that is better than this one

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/gallatin/data/news/2009/interim_management_strategy_announced_for_wilderness_study_area_-_map_11-13-2009.pdf.pdf

mapwsa.jpg

currentmap.jpg

Looking at that map and seeing were Windy Pass is sure makes me think that the normal riding area of Portal (up the big hill and over to the cabin) is open. Isn't Windy Pass pretty much were the cabin is? And isn't Eaglehead Mountain were the radio tower is, which looks like a boundry? Looking at the current 2008 map its doesn't look like much is cut off except the Rock Creek access.

Hard to tell but I'm hoping a new map will clarify?

If the normal area is not open, that just plain sucks balls. A huge loss, probably even a bigger loss then Hyalite.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I think this season might be the last straw that broke the camels back.
We need to organize some protest rides....we talk about doing one but it never happens.

Yeah the back broke already...im so sick of this wilderness bull$hit....I think we all should ride where we have always ridden...I am....:mad::mad:
It is just insane how the feds think they "own" the land...sorry charlie,public land means public use....and im going to use it.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Yeah the back broke already...im so sick of this wilderness bull$hit....I think we all should ride where we have always ridden...I am....:mad::mad:
It is just insane how the feds think they "own" the land...sorry charlie,public land means public use....and im going to use it.

Totally agree!

I
hylite

how about December 1st! lets stage a protest ride. i know i can round up at least 10 or 15 riders. they wont arrest us all. if nothing else it will be a chance for all of us to get together, and make further plans. this is bull ****! lots of talk on here, no action! why are we sitting on our asses and letting this happen?

Last edited:
Premium Features