• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Insurance on Mountain Rentals?

ndmeathead

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2009
Do you guys think that its worth it to drop the extra 20$? I've been renting for a few years and have never seen a situation where it was worth it. The way they run the insurance at most places is you have to cover any damage less than $1,000 anyways. I like to think of myself as aggresive but have a hard time thinkin of causing that much damage to plastics/suspension in 1 day.:present:

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I have personally seen a guy end-oh a sled and twist tunnel. He was not much of real aggressive rider but crap happens. He figured heck I will just buy it and re-tunnel it than re-sell. This thing had 3k miles on it and was only worth tops 3500..rental place stuck him 6800 and the sled was a POS before he crashed it. With that said instead of debating the 20 bux, just buy a sled for 4k and be done.

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I always get it,wouldnt be to hard to total a sled by putting a kink in the bulkhead and tunnel from a tree.

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If you are doing anything other than trail riding I think the insurance would be worth it. Its hard to feed 2 people for 20 bucks, and the peace of mind would be nice. Plus, if you do any back country riding on that rented sled its only a matter of time before you end up wrecking it one way or another.

K
May 18, 2009
Casper Wyoming
I used to never get it. Couple years a go I let my 16 year old daughter ride the rented sled down the trail (She had been riding her own sled for couple years previous) so I wasnt real worried about her not being able to ride. Someone cut a corner to tight and she swerved to miss them and hit a wood fence. $1700 damage done to the front of the sled. Smashed hood, belly pan, bent exhaust pipe etc. I wouldnt go with out it. It would have saved me $700 for a $20 investment.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
I rent out sleds regularly and HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend it. It is too easy to bend a frame or dent the tunnel on these lightweight aluminum snowmobiles. Our Damage agreements are actually pretty cheap compared to most, but inevitably some people do not buy it and have to pay to replace a frame. This summer alone I had 3 bent frames on my ATV's and not one of them had the damage agreement.

One note, if a customer of mine bends the frame of the equipment at the beginning of the season I charge them the cost to repair it, then repair it and rent it the rest of the season. If it happens at the end of the season I give them the option to buy the sled or ATV as is (and they can repair it) but they have to give me the value of the machine as if it was not damaged. I do not charge them full retail. I try to treat them as fairly as possible and expect them to do the same for me.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I dont rent but sometimes ride with guys who do and I think it would be a really bad idea NOT to buy insurance. You can do 3000.00 of damage in 2 seconds..:(

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
If you even think about getting off the trail......Get Insurance!!!!!! If you are riding 2-4 days what is another 80 bucks, and since you don't need to buy gas and oil, might as well get insurance!!! Just my .02!

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
We took a group of guys out for a Fire Dept. group ride. A lot of them had not ridden more than a couple times in their life. They all got the insurance, and one guy, was not really a hot-dogger, or doing stuff on dares or anything, just got in a bad spot, and end-o'ed the sled, game over. He was pretty banged up, but the sled was a total loss. It took several of us the rest of the day to tow it back it was so messed up.

His $500 damage deposit was gone, and lucky he had the insurance so that's all he lost.

for only $20, get the insurance.

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
For the sake of $20 get it, even if the policy says anything under $1000 you have to fix regardless. If you do some damage and figure it to be around the couple hundred mark, throw the sled off a cliff or tape the throttle and start it pointed at a rock, make sure it is over $1000 damage to get your $20 worth.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
For the sake of $20 get it, even if the policy says anything under $1000 you have to fix regardless. If you do some damage and figure it to be around the couple hundred mark, throw the sled off a cliff or tape the throttle and start it pointed at a rock, make sure it is over $1000 damage to get your $20 worth.

I hope your joking. Trading $200 for a grand, that's real smart.:rolleyes: One of the dumbest comments posted on SW in a long, long time. Not to mention your whole suggestion is dishonest and unethical. Just plain lame.:rolleyes:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I hope your joking. Trading $200 for a grand, that's real smart.:rolleyes: One of the dumbest comments posted on SW in a long, long time. Not to mention your whole suggestion is dishonest and unethical. Just plain lame.:rolleyes:

mtn alot of rental places will turn a $200 fix into a $1000 real quick.. if anyone is in w.yellowstone ron at highmark is a super guy to deal with

Y

yam_apex91469

Jan 24, 2007
Byron, IL
are all rental shops required to offer insurance? I've rented once in the snowies and once in Cooke - both spots basically show you the labor rates and parts list with no mention of insurance - the yamaha I rented in the snowies specifically said they do not offer insurance??????? I've got my own summit now, but have buddies that rent

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I try to treat them as fairly as possible and expect them to do the same for me.

You are more than fair with that attitutude. Im affraid most rental outfits see a total as a opportunity to replace a sled for what they paid for it new rather than a depreciated value, it is a quick way to increase bottom line. But is unscroupulous IMO.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Get the insurance. $20 is cheap if something happens.
My wife took her car in to get fixed and had to get a rental car. She never got the insurance. Right when she left the dealership a rock broke the windshield. I ended up having to pay for it out of my pocket. There is a little difference in deductibles but it is the same scenario. You might get away with for a while but it only takes once.

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
I hope your joking. Trading $200 for a grand, that's real smart. One of the dumbest comments posted on SW in a long, long time. Not to mention your whole suggestion is dishonest and unethical. Just plain lame.

Haha, of course I'm joking, though for the sake of $20 I would get the insurance anyway as a just in case, never know where you going to find a hidden rock or tree stump. And if you do manage to hit something, being out $20 is a lot better then the alternative.

Premium Features