• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS questions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
I am thinking about getting a gps for riding I have a couple questions.first I am not a very computer or electronic savy guy so what is the easiest one to use and what is the best bang for the buck as far as getting a good one. Thanks for any feedback and comments. Jeff

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I have had a couple differant ones all Garmin.

1: eTrex Okay very basic, but I wanted more options.

2: eTrex Legend H much better then the eTrex.

3 (current): GPSMAP 60csx I upgraded to get the changable cards and the little bigger and color screen. Although the Legand HCX has color and can be found a little cheeper. The 60 has a few more buttons that makes it easier to get around the screens.

I use mine on the road bike as well as on the 4-wheelers and sleds.

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Happens to be something i know a bit about.

First of all, I'd go with a Garmin. By far the easiest to use, and their support is top-notch.

Receivers come in all shapes and sizes (and price tags). For the longest time I used an old GPS12. About 10 years old, and it was a basic GPS. No mapping, minimal waypoint storage, but it wasn't too difficult to get it to talk to a computer. Upgraded to a 60csx to get additional track log space; but the mapping and additional navigation features are nice to have.

There's a ton of choices, find out what is and isn't a requirement. Touch screen? Color? USB or Serial interface? Expandable memory? Ability to load topo/street maps?

Most handheld GPSs are waterproof, or at least water resistant enough to stand up to snowmobiling use.

If you go with one that supports mapping, keep in mind the cost of the maps. The data cards are inexpensive, <$10 for 2GB MicroSD.

With regards to the computer.... Does your PC have a serial port? Most older receivers (eTrex, GPS12, GPS-V) don't have USB built in. You'll either need a serial port (COM1) or a USB to Serial adapter for these. The newer ones (60/76) have a USB port on them, so there's no need for an additional adapter.

Software can be had for free. EasyGPS (LoadMyTracks for Mac), GPSBabel, and Google Earth are about all you'll really need. The Garmin software ... it could be a lot better. Works better for routes and trip planning than GEarth, but it can get to be quite costly in terms of disk space.

It is pretty cool to be able to retrace your path in Google Earth at the end of a long ride.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
60 and 76 are good options. The main difference between the two is the layout of the unit. Interface and features are identical. They're also one of the more expensive choices. If you don't need/want the features the 60/76 provides, a GPS-V/eTrex might be a better (cheaper) option; especially if you're not familiar with GPS operation.

If I had to do it again, I'd go wtih the 76 instead of the 60; main reason for that being the RAM-mount. The 60 only latches in using the belt clip, which really isn't that sturdy. Many threads on other forums about lost GPSs because of the design of that mount. The 76 mount wraps around the entire unit and holds it much more securely.

On the moto I tie the wrist strap around the bars in case it does come out.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
One other thing. And probably the most important.

LEARN TO USE IT BEFORE YOU DEPEND ON IT FOR NAVIGATION.

Use it to navigate a route you know (House to grocery store, to/from work, etc), figure out the buttons and features.

The biggest, baddest piece of equipment in the world won't help you if you don't understand what it does and how to use it.

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
You might want to go for the Garmin Rino520 or 530. Same size as the above but includes a 5-watt radio as well. BIG plus is that it is super easy to keep track of others in your group if they have rinos too. Automatically updates their location. On those white out days, it can be a life-saver.
You can often pick up reconditioned ones on the big auction site for a fraction of the list price.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
they're still really expensive if all you're after is a GPS.

The Rino 100's aren't bad if you want a basic GPS and a basic radio, and they're not as ridiculously overpriced as the 5xx's.

S
Sep 10, 2005
Grand Junction, CO
they're still really expensive if all you're after is a GPS.

The Rino 100's aren't bad if you want a basic GPS and a basic radio, and they're not as ridiculously overpriced as the 5xx's.
Right now you can get the 530 for about $260-$270. About the same as the 60cx and a little more than the 76cx. Not too bad for full color and a bigger screen PLUS a 5 watt radio. Plenty of mounts and lots of options for mics and ear buds.

But like you said, It does not do any good if you don't learn to use it FIRST.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
Just got the 530 myself, most of my riding buddies have been using them for a while andi think thats the only way to go. Its helped numerous times in locating a stuck buddy. Think i paid around 320 with 50 rebate from amazon

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks but what ia the easiest to operate.

Thanks for all of ghe info but I really need to know what is the easiest to operate I a definately computer and electronic challenged. I don't think I nerd the radio as no other riders in our group have readios thanks again for all imput.

K
I concur on the Garmin 60csx. I got it last year and it is really user friendly. Actually got me out of trouble today while quadding. Do not get a Magellan. I tried one for a month before I got the Garmin and it was very hard to navigate.

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
They all operate pretty much the same. If you don't want color screen or other bells and whistles just go with a cheap Garmin. The easiest gps I've ever used is the garmin I got for my truck. The handheld type gps's aren't as easy to use. You have to study up on them. I have so many friends that have them and know how to turn them on and that's it. I have the garmin rino 530. I charge the battery before a ride, turn it on and throw it in the windshield bag of my sled. It tracks my every move. Last year we had a white out and couldn't see 5 feet in front of us. I pulled out the gps and scrolled around a bit and drove us right back to the truck. We also had an experience at Lake Powell one year where our boat broke down and we couldn't get it running till the sun was down. We were able follow our route back to the houseboat in the pitch black. The radio option is AWESOME. Some other guys I ride with have it and we've used it more than once.

Don't plan on finding something as easy to use as the vehicle gps's. Even though you're not gps savy, practice with it. Anybody can learn how to use it.

md and dcup crazy climb.jpg

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Software can be had for free. EasyGPS (LoadMyTracks for Mac), GPSBabel, and Google Earth are about all you'll really need. The Garmin software ... it could be a lot better. Works better for routes and trip planning than GEarth, but it can get to be quite costly in terms of disk space.

It is pretty cool to be able to retrace your path in Google Earth at the end of a long ride.

08-09RE.jpg

So Mule,

are you using the topo maps from google earth, and displaying them on your gps?

I have the rino120, and I've been thinking about buying the mapsource topo.

I'm interrested in hearing specifics about how you are utilizing these programs.

Thanks

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
The way I understand it:

easygps is a tool which allows you to share tracks, waypoints, etc with your computer.

gps babel is a tool which allows sharing this information b/t programs

and you are placing your tracks on maps extracted from google earth.

I was wondering if somewhere in there you have converted to a topo map on your gps unit...

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
The GPS uses its own set of maps. Those have to be purchased from Garmin. The topo maps kinda suck, the data's kinda old and the POIs are almost useless. I have CityNavigator on there, roads are all up-to-date and it's got TONS of POIs (Hotels, restaurants, gas stations, shopping, auto repair, banks/ATMs, airports, etc.

EasyGPS is a utility to get data to/from the GPS. EasyGPS has the ability to display tracks/waypoints/routes. On the Mac, LoadMyTracks is a simple utility to get data in/out. It doesn't display tracks/etc in it, but once the data's on the computer Google Earth will read that.

GPSBabel is a great utility for converting GPS data files. Say you get some goofy magellan-specific tracklog of a place you want to ride. Throw it into GPSBabel and tell it to convert it to a GPX, save that on the desktop and load that into your GPS (or Google Earth).

Google Earth *can* talk to a GPS, but there's much better options out there. For displaying and navigating saved tracklogs, Google Earth is the way to go.

As for the data files, either go GPX or KML. Those two are "universal", in that any GPS utility worth having will read them. GPX is xml data, pretty easy to read in Notepad or any other text editor. KML has a few more features, but at the expense of being more difficult to manually manipulate.

Premium Features