• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST POLL: Searching this forum

Searching for data in the Ski-Doo forum is

• Very easy and efficient "As-Is"

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Can be a challenge because it lacks organization

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This sled forum has several thousand posts in it. When you log in and go looking for an answer to a specific question you have, knowing that it already out there somewhere, does the current layout of having all the threads in one massive forum make it EASIER or HARDER for you to locate what your searching for.?

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
responded about searching on the other poll, but I will repeat here

The only problem is you cannot seach for words with only 3 letters such as REV XP. You get zero results. Can this be changed???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Bizarre.
LOTS of people are READING THIS thread, but almost none of them are casting their votes.

I will check on the String Functions in the search engine, but I am not sure if it can work on 3 letters only and NOT find every word in the dictionar with those three letters.

THE SOLUTION IS "TAGS" which will be coming in a couple weeks.

The only problem is you cannot seach for words with only 3 letters such as REV XP. You get zero results. Can this be changed???
If you want to search for a two-letter string like "XP", you have to use a wildcard (*) at the end.

Search for XP in the Skidoo forum and you get this:
The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Search for XP* in the Skidoo forum and you get this:
search results
Yep... 500 results, which seems like the board search limit.

If newbs (or even vets) don't know how to search, of course they could get frustrated looking for info. But, if that's true, it's a failure on the part of the site administration for not telling them how to search more effectively.

Splitting all the posts into a bunch of "handy" little bins won't make it any easier to find what you're looking for. You'll just have to search multiple forums to make sure you didn't miss anything. How's that better?

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
If you want to search for a two-letter string like "XP", you have to use a wildcard (*) at the end.

Search for XP in the Skidoo forum and you get this:
The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Search for XP* in the Skidoo forum and you get this:
search results
Yep... 500 results, which seems like the board search limit.

If newbs (or even vets) don't know how to search, of course they could get frustrated looking for info. But, if that's true, it's a failure on the part of the site administration for not telling them how to search more effectively.

Splitting all the posts into a bunch of "handy" little bins won't make it any easier to find what you're looking for. You'll just have to search multiple forums to make sure you didn't miss anything. How's that better?

I agree a search engine tutorial would be great for people that are less search savvy.

Your search above could be further narrowed down by searching only Thread Titles and narrowing down the date to the last few years since the XP's release.

Quotations also work for searching exact phrases "XP track" will only search for that term, and not threads containing just xp or track.

Maybe I'll be productive and work on a search tutorial.

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
I would make one FAQ. It is a FAQ based on the forum, not a manufacturer. The forum usage is the same no matter where you are at. Searching for something in Ski-Doo or posting in Ski-Doo is no different then searching or posting any where else in the forum.

Now, a FAQ could be created as a stickied post in the General section of each manufacturer. This could detail common problems and important threads for each manufacturer, but it does not deserve it's own sub-forum.

C
Nov 28, 2007
Elizabeth Co
mod's would move it there

I was just thinking about how may times new users seem to sign up to ask the same question that was asked 2 months ago

What pipe for my xp ?
my rev idles but wont rev up?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As we move forward and I beging the long process of asigning moderators to each of the forums, I WILL ask that each of them create an FAQ that is Appropriate to their unique special forum.

But, that will take some time to determine just what information NEEDS to be in each of the FAQs.

But its a great idea, and I support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features