• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good GPS unit to buy?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Don't want to spend more than $200, lees if it meets my needs. Teh basics, but I want one that gives speed, max speed, and average speed. Don't know if they all give that bit of info.

Doesn't need to be color, but needs to be a handheld, water proof/resistant, and inpact resistant.

Thanks for the suggestions.

sabels

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2007
Flatlands
R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
I use the garmin etrex series. Same chip set as the more expensive series, but cheap enough to afford. Does everything you want above and was $150 when I bought it 2 years ago.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Garmin rino. Dont know if you can get one for under 200. Maybe the rino 110. It would work good but the extra features of the 130 is well worth it. The two way radio is the best feature of the whole deal. you can get your friends (if they also have a rino) locations over the two way radio and then ride right to them.

S
Nov 28, 2007
BERTHOUD CO.
gps

i have the GARMIN etrex series 12 channel. bearing, heading, max speed, and all of the other goodies. no color , no maps, just plane-o- GPS. I HAVE HAD FOR 6 YEARS NOW AND NEVER LET ME DOWN.....$199.00

Last edited:

copter6

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I use the Garmin GPSmap 76csx I bought it brand new for $250.00. It is a marine grade GPS handheld which will even float when dropped in the water.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Gps

Thanks for the responses, just picked up a refurbished Rino 530 for $280. Little more than what i wanted to spend, but looks like a nice unit.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
gps

you wont go wrong, i was go to say go withthe 60 series if you dont need the radio, i used the 60cs for several years then went to the 120 rino and now to a 530 i had my 60 hard wired in to my sled that was nice i have a ram mount i never have to worry about it, i have rolled it manytimes in the mountians and never worried. i dont know can you hard wire the 530/520 to 12volt any one do it.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
60-series is great, I picked up the 60csx a few months ago. Wonderful unit.

The 76's aren't bad either, more for marine use but they can take the same topo/citynav maps that the 60s can.

Rinos are good units, packed with features, but if all you need is a basic GPS they're overkill. Even the 120s are pretty $$ for what they do.

All your'e after is a basic GPS receiver, check craigslist for an etrex or GPS-V. They don't do mapping, but will do a tracklog and waypoints you can dump to (and from) a computer. Past few years I've been riding with a GPS12, works great and accurate as hell, but I wanted something that could do mapping and had a little more track memory. Almost any handheld/"outdoor" GPS will be at the very least water resistant. Snow isn't too invasive, especially if you keep the receiver in your pack.

I'm still holding onto my GPS12 if I ever decide to put a computer on the sled or APRS in the truck, I think that's that receiver I'm going to hook up to it. Supports more NMEA/serial formats than the 60 does.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
60-series is great, I picked up the 60csx a few months ago. Wonderful unit.

The 76's aren't bad either, more for marine use but they can take the same topo/citynav maps that the 60s can.

Rinos are good units, packed with features, but if all you need is a basic GPS they're overkill. Even the 120s are pretty $$ for what they do.

All your'e after is a basic GPS receiver, check craigslist for an etrex or GPS-V. They don't do mapping, but will do a tracklog and waypoints you can dump to (and from) a computer. Past few years I've been riding with a GPS12, works great and accurate as hell, but I wanted something that could do mapping and had a little more track memory. Almost any handheld/"outdoor" GPS will be at the very least water resistant. Snow isn't too invasive, especially if you keep the receiver in your pack.

I'm still holding onto my GPS12 if I ever decide to put a computer on the sled or APRS in the truck, I think that's that receiver I'm going to hook up to it. Supports more NMEA/serial formats than the 60 does.

hey mule, the gps V does do mapping..mine holds 36 topos on it...is a great gps....damn thing has seen some ground in its life..is always the first thing to get put in the gear bag/pack when I pack for a trip....

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for the responses, just picked up a refurbished Rino 530 for $280. Little more than what i wanted to spend, but looks like a nice unit.

The trip data is stored internally while maps can go a micro SD card.

Garmin recommends 2GB max but people on here have claimed to use up to 8GB cards with no problem. Here you can get a 4GB card for $9US

Battery will last you 20 plus hours of day use. Taks a good 4-6 hours to charge. There is a AA battery backup pack for $20 on ebay.

From what reviews I have seen the GPS side is as good as the 60CSX. There is little comparison for the peer to peer function and is great to have. The walkie talkie part is good for 3-4 miles in the trees and 10 miles from a mountain to mountain top ... using 5 watts.

Did you get it a pcnation?

What software are you gonna use?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Run the GPS off sled power and save the battery for when the sled's off... :)

The 60-series has an internal regulator, just get 12V DC to the pins on the 4-pin round and you're set. PFranc.com is a good source for hte connectors.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
The trip data is stored internally while maps can go a micro SD card.

Garmin recommends 2GB max but people on here have claimed to use up to 8GB cards with no problem. Here you can get a 4GB card for $9US

Battery will last you 20 plus hours of day use. Taks a good 4-6 hours to charge. There is a AA battery backup pack for $20 on ebay.

From what reviews I have seen the GPS side is as good as the 60CSX. There is little comparison for the peer to peer function and is great to have. The walkie talkie part is good for 3-4 miles in the trees and 10 miles from a mountain to mountain top ... using 5 watts.

Did you get it a pcnation?

Thanks

What software are you gonna use?

No idea what software..what would you recommend that I get for it? This is all greek to me.

Thanks

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Run the GPS off sled power and save the battery for when the sled's off... :)

The 60-series has an internal regulator, just get 12V DC to the pins on the 4-pin round and you're set. PFranc.com is a good source for hte connectors.

He bought the Rino 530. Is there a 12vdc connection for the back?

I know it will not charge from the USB port.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
No idea what software..what would you recommend that I get for it? This is all greek to me.

Thanks

When you get the 530 the maps will be blank ... the screen will be blank.

So as a novice you should determine what you are trying to do.

1 type of map​
If you are going to only use it off road ... then get a "topo" map. These are maps of just terrain.

If you arte gonna use it on just roads then get a road map.

Now of course the best map to get is one that has both topo and roads since the 530 will give you a choice to go to point b by road or off road.

2 resolution of map​

1/24000 is the best resolution you can buy ... actually most map companies get the raw map data from the USGS and put it in a proprietory "software" and resell it.

http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/usgsmaps/usgsmaps.html

http://seamless.usgs.gov/tutorial.php

The best known USGS maps are those of the 7.5-minute, 1:24,000-scale quadrangle series. A scale of 1:25,000 is used for maps based on metric units (1 centimeter = 0.25 kilometer). The area portrayed on each sheet ranges from 64 square miles at latitude 30 degrees north to 49 square miles at latitude 49 degrees north.

A scale of 1:24,000 allows considerable detail to be shown in the quadrangle areas. It takes about 57,000 maps to cover the conterminous 48 States, Hawaii, and territories. All of these maps are now for sale to the public. (For Alaska, 7.5-minute maps at 1:24,000 and 1:25,000 scale are available for areas around Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Prudhoe Bay.)

The sheet size is about 22 x 27 inches north of latitude 31 degrees and 23 x 27 inches south of that latitude.

Most new people buy it from who ever map the unit, GARMIN.

Last edited:

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
He bought the Rino 530. Is there a 12vdc connection for the back?

I know it will not charge from the USB port.

I have a 530HCx, and have the 12 volt charger for a power point as well as the spare battery pack that will take AA's . Never have had to use either. the battery life of the lithium battery is phenomenal even in sub zero weather. all my riding buds have them now. this is one fine gps:D

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If you go it alone there are dozens of online "chat" rooms that do nothing else but figuire out "how to" with the Rino series units.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159624

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150830&page=2

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157796

If you go to yahoo groups you can subscribe and monitor what is going on with what people do with the Rino.

I subscribe to garmin-rino at yahoo groups http://groups.yahoo.com/ When I do subscribe I go to a Membership required group cause most public groups get junk mailed to death.

Last is how to get the data / store and retrieve it.

1 Buy a proprietory program and can only be used on one unit. Load on computer and will only download through USB port after software confirms the serial number of unit is correct.

2 Buy maps on a mini SD card and not allowed to unload map from data card.

3 Buy a DVD with maps on it. Load onto computer and then download to mini SD card as much as you like and use it.

4 Get free software from USGS and other online free sources. http://store.usgs.gov/locator/about_digital_maps.html

Also see if the software you use is "upgraded for free" or not updated at all.

Last edited:

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
If you go it alone there are dozens of online "chat" rooms that do nothing else but figuire out "how to" with the Rino series units.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159624

Last is how to get the data / store and retrieve it.

1 Buy a proprietory program and can only be used on one unit. Load on computer and will only download through USB port after software confirms the serial number of unit is correct.

2 Buy maps on a mini SD card and not allowed to unload map from data card.

3 Buy a DVD with maps on it. Load onto computer and then download to mini SD card as much as you like and use it.

4 Get free software from USGS and other online free sources. http://store.usgs.gov/locator/about_digital_maps.html

Also see if the software you use is "upgraded for free" or not updated at all.

Important note: i don't think the 530 will take sd cards, but the 530HCx will. Just an FYI, one of my buddies saved himself some cash and bought the 530, still a good unit just does not have the SD option and i think it has a different gps receiver in it.

Premium Features